1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Duramax starving for fuel.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mark13, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The truck is cutting in and out. It'll idle for 20 minutes sometimes, other times it won't idle for 3 seconds. Sometimes it'll go down the road fine for a few miles, other times you can't make it 100'. Once it shuts off sometimes it will restart instantly other times you have to wait a while and then it'll go. Throttle position has no effect and won't keep it running. It cuts out very abruptly, not like it's slowly running out of fuel. It's like someone turned the key off, doesn't matter if it's at idle or 3,000rpms.

Fuel is always Road Ranger or FS, been running it for 15,000 mi with zero trouble. Howes additive in the tank. Drained the water separator on my Airdog and it was just diesel in there. Spun the Airdog fuel filter off and drained it, seemed alright but didn't have a means of replacing it tonight. Fuel filter on the motor has maybe 700 miles on it and the WIF sensor did not come on.

Until this morning it sat since saturday after plowing. Idled for probably 20 minutes then made my 25 mile drive to work with no trouble. Pulled into the farm and went into the shed to get a funnel to put in addative, still was running ok. Then put 15 gallons of diesel in (Still had 1/2 a tank or more of fuel when I added the 15 gallons to top it off) with it idling the whole time, drove it 200' and the second I put it in park it just shut off. Got it going again and put it in the heated shed for 5 hours. Pulled it outside, wouldn't idle for more then a minute and I made it a mile before it died. Took about 10 restarts to make it the next 2 miles to my uncles house. Put it in his garage with floor heat for about 3 hours where I worked on it some. Friend brought a trailer and we backed it out to load it up, idled perfect for 20-30 minutes. Wouldn't fit right on the trailer (tip deck) so we decided to see if it would keep running. I made it about 3 miles before it started doing the same thing again. Made it back to my uncles after lots of trouble and that's where it sits.

2. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

possible hole in fuel line between tank and fuel pump? I dont know if the pump sits on the frame rail like the fords do...sorry im not big on the chevys but i try to help as much as i can!

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Check the MAF and MAP sensor, my guess is the MAP sensor it's in the intercooler pipe from the intercooler to the intake. It's the cast aluminum "pipe". Probably has ice in it

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I like where your going and I'll check it out. All the potential ice will be melted off by tomorrow night or Wednesday night when I get to look at it though.

I should have also mentioned sometimes the Airdog pump will change tone right before the truck dies. Usually to a higher pitch like it's working it's @ss off trying to get fuel to pump.

5. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

Check around on some Duramax forum sites...ive been researching it and found it could be the cam position sensor or quoted from a website....i guess bad grounds is common with these trucks...

On the driverside below and behind the power steering pump is a ground that goes to the frame, There is also one on the driver side attached to the rear of the cyl head it is beheind and under neath the glow plug controle module and attaches to the body ( it is the silver flat ground strap).

Also it does that same thing when we flash a tune maybe something with the ECM or the FICM?

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

No engine light? Do you have anyway to pull codes?

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

No check engine light. I have access to an OTC Pegysis scanner but I have to get my truck to my friends shop first so I can plug it in and see what it has to say.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

My 07 did the same thing 2 years ago, the map was iced up. I pulled it hit it with the wifes hairdryer and blew it out with computer "air" cleaner so I didn't wreck anything with the air compressor. Cam sensor as ERW said would throw a light right away.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My intake is all pulled apart with all the restrictions removed but I still have the factory airbox and factory style filter. Think that has anything to do with it or just the fact that it was 12* today?

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

by looking at th picture of the truck whileplowing that make posted there is a little bit of ic built up on his grill, im going to gues its the map to

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The truck ran flawless while plowing though. It sat for about 7 hours after plowing and I started it to go to dinner and it ran perfect to and from dinner. I'd think if something was going to freeze up it would have done it then not on a day when it's dry outside but colder.

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Na my air boxes are stock and it still happened after plowing and then it got cold. I thought I read somewhere there was a TSB to make a stand off to get it a little further out of the airstream to keep it from getting iced up.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Alright, one of my friends is checking All-Data to see if they have anything about it.

14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Funny,I just posted to your thread on DP.Friends are supposed to let friends borrow their $5K scanners when their trucks are down.:)

15. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

sounds like you really gelled up to me, if your not going to be able to get to it till late today, runn it got a couple minuets and drain your airdog again and see it it picked up any water or condensation from the tank. also check the things that every one else listed!

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

He was using last night on a car otherwise his brother would have brought it with when he brought the trailer down to get me. We're hopefully getting a gooseneck tonight that my truck will fit on and will be able to get it home then and on the scanner.

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would let the truck sit overnite in a heated garage and let it thaw out. I do that with mine and seems to do wonders for the truck, but yeah I think you have some ice built up somewhere.

18. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

If my truck wasn't in the trans shop Id haul it for ya on my trailer mark :salute: We had one of our dmaxs do something like this but it was the ecm went bad :eek::realmad:.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It was in a heated shed all day and in a garage with floor heat for 3 hours after that. Neither seemed to help it. It's been back in the garage with the heated floor since about 8:30pm last night. It'll be there for a few more hours today so we'll see if that helped it.

Just don't go anywhere that you have to backup and it will be perfect. I'm not sure how you'd get hooked up to the trailer but there's ways.

20. 06dmax

06dmax Member

this is weird so its not the maf,or map, and your sure its not gelled up and the fuel filter seems fine?