1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Duramax noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Dec 14, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

i was in my dads delivery truck today (06 duramax) and after slowing down it would start to make this chattering noise... Like an engine brake somewhat. But even after i would turn the truck off it was still making the noise. Sounds like the fuel pump, but is it suppose to be that load? It even was doing it sitting at a stop light... any help?

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

well, I can tell you that it is not the fuel pump, Duramax's to not have a fuel pump. They have a lift pump that is up by the motor.

See if you can give my a little better discription.
    I am still pretty unclear on what exactly the sound is.

3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

hmm.... it sounds like it comes by the rear axle. The truck was a chassis cab with a box on the back of it now. But b/c it's a chassis cab shouldn't matter. But it's like a chattering noise. It's hard to explain. It sounds sorta like an engine break. But why would it do it when the truck is turned off. It lasts about 20 seconds and then stops.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure but it sounds like your middle carrier bearing on the drive shaft or maybe the yokes. We have an 01 cab and chassis and because of the extended drive shaft a carrier bearing is needed and we've replaced a couple. It's worth checking. On edit I see it lasts after the truck turns off Hmmmmm forget everthing I just said. LOL

5. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Maybe he left a mexican locked up back there for not paying the border crossing fee :eek:
    In all seriousness, I have nothing of value to add. I have an 01 d-max and it does nothing of the sort. Is there any other equipment installed back there?

6. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

Ya, i can't figure it out. There is nothing installed back there. It's a 16 foot cooler box on it. But the cooler unit is mounted above the cab. So it's not that. It's like a chattering noise, it might be easier to figure it out if it didn't do it when it was on and off. If anyone can think of something let me know.

And the mexican things... well that was the first thing i checked. Kinda sounded like one rolling around back there, but unless it was a miget i didn't see any.

Thanks guys!

7. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Is it an engine ticking noise?? like a metal on metal tick

8. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Is it accompanied by any vibration, smell, smoke, etc.?

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

It's the lift pump. It pumps the fuel from the rear tank to the front tank in the chassis cabs. Took me a couple days to figure it out on my truck.

10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

there should be a lift pump that pumps fuel to the injection pump (CP3)

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

rsvees is correct, I didn't know it was a cab and chassis. Sorry to mislead you, I thought it was an 06 Duramax pickup truck. My bad.

12. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so this noise is normal? Ya... i guess i didn't realize there was any major differences between the pick-up and chassis cab. Any reason why this is? It's obviously a bigger fuel tank, well dual fuel tanks actually, is that the reason? thanks guys!

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

front tank is primary, rear tank is aux tank
    The computer keeps both tanks with in 3% of each other, that is why the gauge reads as if they were one tank. WHat you are hearing is the TRANSFER PUMP between the two tanks. The lift pump is another pump all together.