1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Duramax burn oil?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Sep 12, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

my dad has an 06 Chevy 1 ton duramax and it was been burning oil. He asked the dealer about it today and they told him it should burn, or is normal to burn 1 quart of oil for every 100 gallons of fuel.... which is roughly 1200 miles. Sounds like a load of crap to me. But was just wondering if anyone could back them up?
    if this is not normal whats the issue then?
    thanks!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't happen to recently switch to synthetic oil? Some burn oil like crazy at first after switching over. Can take up to 10,000 mi for some D-max's to settle down to a reasonable oil consumption level after being switched over to synthetic.

And yes believe it or not 1qt per 100 gallons of fuel is considered "within spec" as far as GM is concerned.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We had a Ford 7.3 that burned a quart every 1k and they said it was normal.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

customer at work has a ford e350 with 5.4 gas. sucks 1.5 qt every 1k or less. ford and reman motor company both say with in spec. :realmad:

5. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

My '05 burned about 1/3 - 1/2 quart every 500 miles. Burning a little oil is annoying, but considered normal.

I had a 99 VW Jetta TDI that I got new that burned 2 quarts of oil every fill up (600 miles), and was told that VW was considered that to be within specs...BULL! I ended up returning it to VW under the lemon law for that, as well as many other problems.

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

happened to me right after i swiched to the point that the low oil light came on. ended up putting in 3 quarts. seemed to level off as far as buirning it at that rate though. but they do burn oil like all diesels do

7. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

burning oil eh? rings bad then? none of my cummins burn oil, dads 05 doesnt, none of my kubotas burn oil (3 cyl diesel) either.

Id take the truck to the dealer and tell them to fix it or keep the truck!

8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

yes your cummins dosent burn oil. must be the ONLY diesel that dosent burn oil. wonder why diesels are also nick named " oil burners" guess they must not have been talking about a cummins. :dizzy:

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree ServiceOnSite that his Cummins ''burn'' or use some oil but that's not why any diesel is referred as an'' oil burner''.It's the actual diesel fuel which is among other things----------oil.I've had 3 DM's over the years,my present LBZ will use about .5 quart in 7K miles.I think Turbos Dads truck has some issues going on--that's really way too much--1 qt. in 1200 miles.

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

No you didnt!:jester:It was a GM. LOL

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The term "oil burner"
    Comes from the old school terminology.

Diesel is called diesel fuel which use to be called fuel oil. You know like what people use to heat their homes with. It's all the same stuff other than the grade #1 or #2.

That's why i call my d-cell an oil burner. Nothing to do with motor oil consumption.

12. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

x2 snofarmer

Im sure they do burn a little oil but nothing so severe that you notice a change on the dipstick!

13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I have an '06 d-max that's got about 11K on it. I've been running Amsoil synthetic since 7K and haven't burned a drop. 4K later the dipstick shows exactly the same as when I changed the oil. Could be the oil, but more likely not. Check out www.dieselplace.com for more tech info than you can possibly stand about d-max motors.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:welcome to plowsite.
    I see you came a long way.
    Your first post sounds like an advertisement for that forum.
    so we don't have to go over there and wade through countless volumes of info why don't you enlighten us.

15. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I have an 04 with an lly and I beat the piss out of it. I change the oil every 5000 and at that it may need a quart. Yours must have a ford motor in it.

16. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

my 03 180k burns 0

17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Really no reason at all to act like a wiseass.All he was saying basically is that if you might want to either learn,share ideas,knowledge,or just chat at the foremost well known and respected diesel site on the planet,especially for those with Dmax's,then check it out.Matter of fact,you could find out at the DP that home heating oil is most definitely NOT diesel.When I want to know something or share knowledge/ideas about plowing,I come here---for my Dmax I go to the DP.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Your being a .......:jester:

1.. The only difference between home heating oil and the stuff you buy at the pump is the red dye they put in the home heating oil. # 1 or #2

2, #1 fuel oil is #1 fuel oil and #2 fuel oil is #2 fuel oil (aka diesel fuel) red dye or not.
    You can even blend them (who knew?)
    Go ask Duluth Diesel he'll tell ya.

If it's not the same stuff then what is it?.

While you there ask him( Duluth Diesel) why only some of the "Al-oil" is API certified and some is not?
    All of the other oil Co's oil is API certified.
    You can't convince me it's because it will cost $$ to get it certified.
    Don't believe every thing you hear at that place..

don't believe me...
    Fuel oil is a fraction obtained from petroleum distillation, either as a distillate or a residue. Broadly speaking, fuel oil is any liquid petroleum product that is burned in a furnace or boiler for the generation of heat or used in an engine for the generation of power, except oils having a flash point of approximately 40 ℃ (104 ℉) and oils burned in cotton or wool-wick burners. In this sense, diesel is a type of fuel oil. Fuel oil is made of long hydrocarbon chains, particularly alkanes, cycloalkanes and aromatics. The term fuel oil is also used in a stricter sense to refer only to the heaviest commercial fuel that can be obtained from crude oil, heavier than gasoline and naphtha.
    Fuel oil is classified into six classes, numbered 1 through 6, according to its boiling point, composition and purpose. The boiling point, ranging from 175 to 600 °C, and carbon chain length, 20 to 70 atoms, of the fuel increases with fuel oil number. Viscosity also increases with number, and the heaviest oil has to be heated to get it to flow. Price usually decreases as the fuel number increases.

No. 1 fuel oil, No. 2 fuel oil and No. 3 fuel oil are variously referred to as distillate fuel oils, diesel fuel oils, light fuel oils, gasoil or just distillate. For example, No. 2 fuel oil, No. 2 distillate and No. 2 diesel fuel oil are almost the same thing (diesel is different in that it also has a cetane number limit which describes the ignition quality of the fuel). Distillate fuel oils are distilled from crude oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_oil

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i worked in a quick oil change shop, and in a full mechanics shop, im sure B&B will conform this

almost every car/truck manufac, that i ever had to deal with, said that for a gas or diesl engine, 1 qt per 1000 miles was "normal" - im not sure if that is becasue they didnt want to deal with warrenty claims or not, but i promise you i called time and time again, and 1 per 1000 is normal

my cummis is about 1 qt every 2000, but i would be willing to bet that 25% of it is leaking , and another 25% is the turbo , more so than the engine it self

but all motors burn , a little

20. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Hey guys, no need for a urinary olympiad here. I'm happy to offer a link to more info for people who choose to click it. If you want me to copy and paste it here you'll be waiting a long time. Use it or don't use it as you see fit. Makes no difference to me.

As long as I'm posting advertisements for other sites, here's one where urinary olympiads and name-calling is not only acceptable, but highly encouraged to keep things lively: www pirate4x4.com/forum Only click the link if you have thick skin.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008