1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'06 driveline vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JCI Trans, Dec 6, 2010.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I've had my new truck for a couple months now (truck in sig). I've done some pretty good highway miles so far, and i have noticed a driveline vibration that starts at exactly 60 mph. and goes away at 65. This only happens when under accelleration, not when slowing down. My tires are due to be changed soon, but the vibration seems to have too fast of a frequency to be a balance issue. I went underneath and shook the shafts, all U joints seem solid. Being a CC/LB, the truck has a pillow block on the first shaft. I also notice the vibration when i hit a bump on the highway and the rear of the truck sinks down a bit. The trans and T-case were serviced right after i bought it, and amsoil severe gear will be going in the diffs next week, so i'll check that fluid when it comes out too. The truck has roughly 40k on it. Thanks!!!!

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Believe it or not, most balance issues are felt at highway speeds (55-75mph). Check the u-joints carefully, what you described fits this pretty good. Just because they dont move when you lift them doesnt mean they are good. Take a bar and try to move them. You may even have to remove the straps and drop the driveshaft out of the yoke and check the caps, make sure they're not dry and turn freely. Also check to make sure it gets reinstalled on center and not lopsided.

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like i'll need to take these out, may as well change them while i'm at it.

4. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

and rotate your tires and balance them if it goes in and out can be a tire out of balance :mechanic:

5. 05RedLLY

05RedLLY Junior Member
    from Iowa

Check the carrier bearing again. You said it only vibrates under acceleration and when you hit a bump in the road, and I have seen carriers go even with low mileage.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

you know i've seen quite a few virbation threads lately. I think just for the heck of it it I should throw something out there. Check the inside of your rims too. You'd be surprised what a little ice, snow, dirt, or mud will do to cause a vibration.

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

does chevy make an upgraded 1 piece driveshaft? might be worth it rather then replacing the bearing every few years.

8. 06dmax

06dmax Member

also check on duramaxforum.com if none of this things fix it its also a helpful place if you own duramax.

9. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Before i go tearing this thing apart i am going to have my mechanic look at it. I have the GM major guard warranty on it and covers most if not all of the drivetrain. I spoke to him yesterday and i'm going to drop it off next week. He also mentioned the bearing as a possible cuplrit, but i will report back when we figure it out. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

10. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Mine does the same thing, at 55 or below nothing as soon as I hit around 58-60 it does it and stops again over 65. I have to take it in for new tires in the next 2 weeks so I'm hoping it's a balance or alignment problem.

11. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Noone mentioned splitting the shafts and greasing them? I gotta do mine twice a year and I got Spicer joints in everything including the carrier bearing. Its not hard to do and I will bet its dry or getting dry. I use the red Lucas and currently testing Sta-Lube in it. Doesnt seem to last really long and is a common problem. Usually though you will feel it at stops and take off....almost like you got rearended.

Also check the carrier. Good luck on that as they seem to look bad always! As far as a 1 pc shaft no not when its that long.

I would balance your tires first as thats the easiest cheapest way. Then Id go u joints if still there and while your at it grease the splines....they just pull apart the two shafts.