1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 DodgeHID's vs.Iso Module

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by papaMoose, Oct 27, 2011.

1. papaMoose

papaMoose Junior Member

Put in HID headlights, now I'm concerned I've fried something in the Isolation Module of my 06MVP. Dodge guys may know, our trucks hate HID's(little did I know when I ordered them), i found them to work fine when plugged into the Iso module, but not without. Tried hooking up my blade and nothing works at all.

It is strange to me that the headlights still work, but nothing else, which has made me think not a fuse issue...

Anyone else have experiance here???

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I though I ahve read on here that the iso module only controls the lights and has nothing to do with the plow controls. Maybe a ground wire came loose for the plow system or something? Just an idea good luck.

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I can't see how lights would affect the plow. Have you checked the solenoid?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Depending on your system... Do you have the regular MVP or MVPplus? 3 or 4 port iso module? If you have the three wire (at the grill) system there will be two fuses near the isolation module. One is for markers and the other for plow signals. Those fuses should be hot all the time. If not then check at the power relay for a red wire with a blue tracer. It should be on the big wire coming from the battery positive. This wire feeds those two fuses and must be hot for the plow to activate. If the wire is broken the headlights will work but the control will not activate and the plow markers & signals will not work. If you have the V plus thats's another story but I suspect you have the regular V.

5. papaMoose

papaMoose Junior Member

It is the Ultramount MVP(no plus) 4-Port Iso Module...
    I guess my logic may be flawed, I'll check the fuses and relay this weekend and see where we end up. I am really hoping I didn't fry that thing, since I need new edges this year as well...

Thanks for the input, I'll report back my findings!

6. mishnick

I looked closer at the 4 port schematic and saw that one of the two fuses is for plow markers and signals while the other is exclusively for the controller. So what I said earlier is still true. That fuse must be intacked and there must be power feeding it or the controller will not activate but the headlights will work.

7. papaMoose

papaMoose Junior Member

OK, fuses are good, still no power to the controller, and no lights or movement or lights at the plow...I've checked, and the ign signal to the controller is good, not sure where I'm losing it.

Any More suggestions???

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. mishnick

I thought you said your headlights still worked but nothing else, now your headlights don't work? If nothing on the plow work, not hydraulics or lights then perhaps you have lost the ground curcuit. There is a wire that goes from the isolation module out to the headlight plug at the grill where it feeds across to the plow plug and then comes right back on another pin and goes to ground. This ground curcuit is what tells the isolation module that the plow is present. Without it the plow will do nothing. Check for a smaller black / org wire coming from the battery negative post. Follow the wire to the first quick disconnect near the relay, then check the other quick disconnect near the two fuses. You could check this wire with a test light. Put the test light aligator clip on the battery positive and then poke the black / org wire on each side of those two quick disconnects. The test light should light up each time you poke that wire. If it doesn't you have an open ground and the plow cannot activate.

9. papaMoose

papaMoose Junior Member

All of my wiring appears to be good. The fuses on the harness and the fuses in the controller are intact, no resistance across with ohm-meter. I do have headlights on the truck and plow, re-installed standard bulbs, and set aside the HID's for now...
    I still do not have backlight on the controller when the ignition is turned on, nor will any functions work...

Thanks all for input!

10. mishnick

Checking the fuses with an ohmmeter shows that the fuses are good but doesn't tell you if they are being fed power. Go back to the isolation module and check the two fuses very near the plug for port #1. Both of these fuses should be hot all the time, if they are not then go to your motor relay. There should be a red wire with a green tracer going to the hot side of the large relay terminal. This goes to the battery positive post from there so it is a full time 12V source. If that wire is broken or on the wrong terminal the headlights on the plow will work but the control will not light up and the park / signals on the plow will be dead. Here is a link to the MVP mechanic's guide, page 24 shows the four port isolation module electrical overview. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/28270.00_070105.pdf

11. papaMoose

papaMoose Junior Member

Thanks Mishnick, more trouble-shooting and reports to come...