1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Dodge Ram, Speedometor stoped working.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 4x4Farmer, Aug 15, 2009.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Ok, so I dont know how fast im going anymore and i dont need any speeding tickets! At least its not putting any miles on my truck! lol Does anyone know what would be causing this. Is there a sencor on the transmission some where i should be looking for? The check engine light also came on when it stoped working. I just dont feel like spending big bugs to have my dealer tell me whats wrong, I hate my local dodge dealer, there a bunch of crooks. Ok thanks for any help.
  2. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Well first off is it just the speedo thats not working or has your entire gauge cluster stopped working????

If its just the speedo and the check engine light then it might be the speed sensor on the truck. If you flick your key on and off to the accesory position 3 times really quickly it will will tell you the engine codes as to what it going on.

i had my entire guage cluster die on me a year or so ago and it was not cheap to replace i think i ended up spending close to 800 bucks to have fixed and the guage cluster alone was over 600 bucks. you have to love computer controlled equipment it just cost more to fix it in the long run

keep us posted on whats going on
  3. stillen

stillen Senior Member

grab the codes, we'll figure this out....

first grab the obdII codes.... cycle your ignition on - off, on - off, on .... you will get a code where your odometer is......

also grab the body codes , hold down your trip reset button, an turn your ignition on, release button when gauges start to move....

in the odometer area a three section code will appear... xx-xx-xx write those codes down, come back and see us..
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

ok, I got the one code pulled from it, it was a p-0501, and iv been told that my problem is more then likely my output speed sensor. I couldnt get the trip reset one to give me any thing.
  5. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Also, get under the truck and make sure you didn't pull any wires or plugs loose on the tranny. One could be going to your speed sensor? Not sure if it can happen on these dodges, but I used to do it all the time on my S-10 to keep the speed limiter from kicking in when running nitrous at the race track.