1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Dodge Ram 3.7L 215 HP Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by odd1or2even, Mar 25, 2007.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I was wondering if this truck which I am considering buying would be a good plow truck for residential driveways and light commercial. I'm thinking a Boss 7.6' plow, or the 8 foot. I've been plowing with Jeep Wranglers and I want something larger with more power as I have 2 or 3 offers on small parking lots. Any information or first hand experience is greatly appreciated.

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i would recomend at least a 4.7 if not a 5.7
  3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Your wrangler has better HP to weight than a 3.7 CC ram. Does a CC 4x4 even come with a 3.7? You will want a bigger motor than that if you actually want to feel more power, because you are in a bigger heavier truck.
  4. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

06 Dodge

I'm searching on Autotrader and they keep bringing up local 06 Dodges with the 3.7L with the gas mileage as 15 to 21. I want to have the larger engine (4.7) but I didn't know if you guys had first hand experience on the gas mileage and if that was a much better choice. I believe the HP is 235 for the crew cab.

I only have about 40 driveways and I was plowing one small parking lot which was about 15-18 parking spots, but I'm picking up 2 more lots that should take about an hour+ each and possibly a fourth to plow. I'm just trying to see your guys advice since you've been plowing with the dodges and what tends to go wrong with them overtime.

So you all know a little about me, I'm a full time college student and don't do plowing for the income but just for some extra money as I'm in school. I do some trailering here and there and do a little landscaping as well but not very often. I'm just trying to get something larger with more power then my wrangler. I was considering the ford f150 club/crew cab with the 5.4L but thats my second choice. Thanks

5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Residentials can be more difficult with longer trucks. I find the regular cab GMC is perfect, though I have the full 8' bed. I have loved using short wheelbase trucks like the Tahoe, and I can't really complain about the extended cab short bed GMC's (they're only 10" longer than reg cab long beds). Full crew cabs and long beds? I think you're getting too long for these applications. I'm actually in your same basic situation for the client list. I'm using a 3500 GMC regular cab (it's not a personal vehicle in any way). I'll be adding an extended cab short bed later in the year. Might you consider keeping the wrangler until it absolutely won't do the job? I can see what you're saying though, about adding a few more lots & maybe needing more power. I'd still keep the Jeep as primary & maybe the newer bigger truck as a backup, more for your personal use. Good luck!

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

short and sweet.

2500/ short box/ 8.2 or 9.2 V plow with a 360 or bigger.
    As far as problems go,no more than any other brand.
  7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

if i was you i would look into an older 2500 rather than a new 1500 the 2500 will take the abuse better and it will last longer than a 1500 just my .02
  8. AbsoluteH&L

You could buy outside of Dodge also, I have owned them all and presently use a Jeep. i am not partial to any one brand . To me it has to do with what that truck can give me for the money.
  9. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I didn't think that combination existed. Could be typos or maybe you're looking at dakotas?
  10. AbsoluteH&L

I was thinking the same. make sure you have a good source for your info. As your post starts by saying 3.7 215 hp CC, then later it's a 235hp 3.7 CC. I'm not saying your wrong(i'm no guru) it just seems a 3.7 is small for a CC 4X4 Ram. I know this is apples to oranges, but my Uncles 2.3 4 cyl ranger HAD TO BE a short box. They won't put the 4 cyl in a long box, and this is just a little 2wd 5 spd Ranger. Geesh
  11. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

i would consider the ford just because it has a 5.4 v8 in it.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah to tell you the truth i have never heard of a 3rd gen ram with anything under the base 4.7litre, i think you got your facts all mixed up.
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of a 3.7L Dodge....have heard of 4.7L or the Hemi in the current 1500's, or the 5.2L and 5.9L in the pre-2002 trucks. Then you have the 5.9L Cummins, and the new 6.7L Cummins. Never a 3.7L though.....:confused:
  14. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn