1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 diesel wont start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 8, 2008.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

26* out right now, truck sat over night not plugged in and had a real rough cold start this morning but it did start. Did some running around with the truck and it ran fine. Parked the truck for 45min and now wont start at all... Cranks, has power etc.... maybe fuel froze? diesel 911, whats up????

2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

You can remove the fuel filter lid (the small one under the hood) and see if it has fuel.

Oil level good?

Batteries good?

3. Brewtime

Brewtime Junior Member

Try starting it again and hold your foot to the floor. If that doesnt work 911 it up.

4. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

take your fuel filter out and drain the canister with the drain **** underneath it, can't miss it, its yellow. fill the canister back up with fresh fuel with a little diesel 911 mixed in. that ought to get it running then dump whatever amount of diesel 911 into the tank, and if worse comes to worse......... put a little kerosene in the tank too

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

You can drain the frame mounted fuel filter (6mm hex):
    [​IMG]

24mm socket to remove the cap under the hood:
    [​IMG]

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

What happens if he checks the top filter and it has fuel in it? Would it still be fuel related? Whats diesel 911 do? burn more easily than straight diesel fuel? Could be water but then the dash light should be on by now?

7. lowcostlawns

lowcostlawns Junior Member

Do to the parts store and pick some diesel 911 up or some other brand of anti gel. That sounds like it should solve your problem!

8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

You'd know if it had any ice or was gelled up.

As for what the Power Service 911 does:
    http://www.powerservice.com/d911/

I use the Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost in my truck during the winter:
    http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/

9. DirtyJerzey

well did the diesel 911 cycled it a bunch of times, let it sit for a few hours and nothing... checked the top fuel filter and it had fuel in it, filter was a little dirty but no sign of gelling, didnt check the bottom filter though.... think this is going to be more then a fuel problem. Supposed to be around 55* tomorrow so ill let it warm up and see what happens before i call the tow truck

10. Blasco

Blasco Junior Member

My '07 did not start for me over the summer. Turns out it was a bad o ring or something inside the fuel injection oil pump system. Hope this is not what you have cause it was in the shop for two weeks.

11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I really doubt its a fuel gelling issue with air temps of 26* even summer blend wouldn't have gelled.

12. DirtyJerzey

Already happened to me when I was about 2 hours from home. Supposively it was some warranty issue or whatever, had me in and out in a day though... stupid little 99 cent o-ring stops a 55k dollar truck:realmad:

As for my truck still no clue, my diesel mechanic friend of mine is on his way to come check it out right now,guess well see what happens but i doubt anything will

13. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

it was the o ring around the filter canister wasn't it?

14. TEX

TEX Senior Member

15. DirtyJerzey

well yet again more problems proving that the 6.0 is a peice of garbage... dealer has the whole turbo ripped apart, most of the engine, high pressure oil leak and has no clue where it is coming from....

16. TEX

TEX Senior Member

that sounds very familiar minus the oil pump. sounds just like our 2004 6.0 see post link above. ^

17. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Honestly Jerzy it sounds like a "diesel dumb" dealer.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Beat me to it.

You guys are forgetting that this is a 6.0 that he was asking about. These things are known for just dying for no reason, or not starting up after running fine.

I realize it's usually best to start simple, but the 6.0h No is far from simple and scarily unreliable. You just don't know when one of these stupid issues is going to pop up.