1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 CTD with a new problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by OneBadDodge06, Dec 28, 2012.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I was leaving my parents Christmas night and anything past 2k on the tach, the engine would bog down with little power and the check engine light came on. After it got warmed up it would run like a raped ape. Thought it might of been bad fuel so I got another new batch and same result. When its cold it refuses to go past 2k which is something I've never had an issue with in the past.

Any thoughts?

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Your best bet would be to get the code scanned and see what it is that's turning on the check engine light. It'll give you a starting point anyway. Good luck.

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Glow grid related..... Do the headilghts change intensity when warming up??

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Heater grid operation should have no effect on performance.

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Have you checked the supply pressure from the lift pump to the CP3 injector pump?

6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

fuel filter??

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Glow grid greatly improves performance in cold situations.... If you don't think so then unplug yours. These Cummins engines will start even in cold weather without help from heating elements.

Pull the codes and let us know.

8. jhenderson9196

The heater grids' sole purpose is emmissions related. Many people replace them with a better flowing intake .Remember, they turn off automatically at 20 mph, no matter what the temp. If they were required my skidder with a 6 BT would have them.

9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The heater grid is their alternative to glow plugs nothing to do with emmisions.

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I pulled the fuel filter and drained about a gallon of fuel out of the canister just in case water built up over time. Filter was extremely nasty, like caked on dirt...I think I got some bad fuel too.

Its been running like a sewing machine for the past few days. Check engine light also shut itself off.

Don't know if the grid heater is necessarily an issue. I plug it in whenever a plug in is available when its butt cold out. Even when it was -10 out my programmer said my coolant temp was 40 degrees. I had it plugged in when this all went down.

Thanks guys for the replies.:waving:

11. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

A new fuel filter will solve your issues. What happens is ice crystals form on the filter when its super cold out and if your filter is already clogged it cuts off your fuel completely.

Your grid heaters and engine block heater are two different things. Your grid heaters are in the intake horn. They have nothing to do with emissions. They heat the incoming air same as glow plugs. Diesel fuel needs compression and heat to start.

Your block heater heats your coolant in order to keep the engine warm so that it cranks much easier when cold. also helps with cylinder temps.

12. jhenderson9196

Just the facts! The intake heater is for emissions. It prevents smoke and rough running immediately after start up in cold weather.Only on road vehicles use this system. ISB and BT engines have been used in off road equipment for over 30 years, and have not had an intake heater or other cold weather starting aid until the advent of tier iii compliance. If you are going to comment on a topic , know the facts.

13. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I have two cummins and neither one has glow plugs they have a heater grid for cold weather starting. If you think its for emmisions remove it and try starting your truck below 40 degrees ass.

14. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I have a Cummings, no more heater grid, started every time, not being plugged in, 3 degrees out. Cummings engines do not require glow plugs or anything like that. They rely simply on fuel delivery and timing. If anyone wants to argue with me. P.m. me and I'll be happy to oblige with facts. I am on my phone now so I cannot get too in depth.

15. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

If a Cummins is in proper operating order, they will start within 3 revolutions even without being plugged in.

16. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Theres no such thing as a cummings and every diesel needs warm air upon initial startup in the winter

17. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Not true,b Cummings is a phone auto spell correct.

18. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

IM on a computer now, its awn! lol. but really, two of the top midwestern diesel specialty shops taught me this.. i own a auto repair shop, but diesels are not my specialty. i own a dodge 04.5 cummins, wouldnt start, thought something like glowplugs or grid heater was inop, but it was my injectors. i have since learned, that a properly operating cummins does not require being plugged in, heaters of any sort or anything to start, and they should start within 3 revolutions. the timing and fuel delivery is all that is needed. just last week, i forgot to plug in, and it was 3 degrees out in the morning when i went to start it. my edge programer display screen wouldnt even function correctly it was so cold. I opened the door, turned the key, and walla, started right up. I'm not saying this to be a smartass, its the truth, and i wouldnt type it out if it wasnt. nothing i hate worse than peopl spewing lies as the truth.

19. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

You did a heater grid delete?

20. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

change your fuel filter every 30K miles Thumbs Up