1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06' CTD Leaking Coolant

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 19, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Walked past my truck today and saw a small puddle (~8in diameter) under the truck:confused:. Looks like it was dripping from the back of the motor. Hears the kicker, it hasnt been driven in 2 months. So it just started leaking all of the sudden for no good reason. It is like -14 today which is the coldest its been this year. I did have it plugged in for a few days ago but unplugged it yesterday without ever starting it. That wouldnt hurt it, right?

Any ideas?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Let's hope your coolant was not freezing.

Did it expanded and seep by a hose clamp?
    just an idea it was -14 at your place..

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

x2 good luck it should still be under warranty?:salute:

4. NBI Lawn

Is that possible? It is the stock coolant and the truck only has 16,000 on it. It looks as though its coming form the back of the block so I dont think its a clamp.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I was only speculating off of the info in your first post.

lets hope not , maybe you just have a loose clamp some where?
    some tiles it can runn along the block before it drips .

6. NBI Lawn

Hmm, that is possible. I am going to look into it more today.

This happens right when I was thinking Dodges werent as bad as everybody says :dizzy: , figures. If this is the start to something it is getting traded on a new Chev. I dont have the patients for piddly crap like this.

Watch, Dodge will say it froze because of the Edge :gunsfiring:.

7. NBI Lawn

I think I figured it out. On the drivers side rear there is a coolant line for the trans cooler. Most of it is metal but there is a 2-3 inch section that is a rubber line with two hose clamps. One of those appears to be leaking. No I just have to figure out why :(

Damn Dodge ;)

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Get her running and have the cooling system pressure checked.
    the leak will show up then but it sounds like you found it.

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't transmission fluid flow through those lines, not anti-freeze? That's what I always thought but I'm no mechanic.

10. NBI Lawn

Hmm, didnt even think about that. The line does go to the transmission so I am not sure then. The fluid leaking is orange and sweet so... Its kinda large... I just figured... I dont know. I'll just drop it off and have the dealer mess with it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  11. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

If it is anti-freeze, check the passengers side engine compartment, the metal tubes are conected in the middle by a 3 inch section of rubber hose, the hose clamps have been leaking. Dodge knows about it but hasn't done anything yet. The dealer will tighten it for you but that's all they do. Mine did the same thing.

12. db27

db27 Member

Ya 2nd what GTMS says. I heard of many loose clamps on the passenger side rear above the turbo there is a short piece of 1" rubber hose 4-5" and the clamps just need to be tightned a few turns.Mine were loose but not leaking.Stay away from the dealer they will keep your truck for a week rebuild the motor and you will still have the leak:(

13. NBI Lawn

The one I found is on the drivers side. Same deal though, metal lines with a small section of rubber with two clamps. I will try to tighten them myself.

Thanks