1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 CTD Check Engine LIght

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SpruceLandscape, Oct 23, 2006.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to pick up a trailer I bought. Truck had about 3800 miles on it when we left. about 150 miles into the return trip, I started my truck in the morning and the check engine light didn't go out. Stayed on for the majority of the trip home, even after refueling, then it eventually went out after stopping at a rest area. Any Ideas? Figured it was probably a bad batch of diesel, or maybe some of the fuel I got at one point wasn't a low sulpher. Anyways, truck ran just fine, but I did notice that while the light was on, my fuel ecomony according to the readout suffered about 2.5 miles/gallon.

2. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Next time the light stays on, you should cycle the key 3 times and see what code comes up, than look up the code to see whats wrong. I had the check engine light stay on for me for a little, but that was because the Quadzilla chip was sputtering and making the truck lose power and stall out. Is your truck stock?

3. SpruceLandscape

yeah, my truck is all stock

4. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Try cycling the key and see what code comes up.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why not just take it to a garage and have a scan tool put on it? Most places up here will scan it for free and let you know what code(s) comes up. If you get the code, there are several sites online that will tell you what they mean.

6. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I had the same thing happen on mine. Only I had 750 miles on the truck when it happened. I was going on a 600 mile trip and called with concerns. I was told if it is flashing then get it to the dealer asap, otherwise just get it there when you can. My light went out too, but it goes in tomorrow to see if they can pull the code.

7. SpruceLandscape

Bry@n, please let me know what they tell you. It will be a few more days before I can take mine in to have the code checked due to work and such. Would like to see if they tell you the same thing since our circumstances are just about identical. Thanks

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

For around $100 you can get a code reader of your own.
    Their is a plug to the lift of the steering wheel just under the bottom of the dash for it to plug into.
    Then you will know in an instant what is wrong.
    It will tell you all of the faults that are stored and you can clear them off and reset.

It will pay for it's self just using it once to reset the cheek engine light once.

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

has it come back on since it could be nothing

10. SpruceLandscape

It has not come back on yet, but I have only driven it a few times since Monday

11. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If you don't turn the fuel filler cap 3 full turns that will kick on the check engine light.

Regards Mike

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

id wait to see if it comes back on before id start worrying

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Cycle the key three times. On Off, On Off, On and leave it like that. Pdone means no codes stored. If one comes up you should be able to call a Dodge dealer and ask them. Or give them to me and I'll ask on a diesel Ram site that I am a regular on. It's DieselRam.com (not trying to steer you away from here, but it is very very helpful for Ram owners) There's a site out there somewhere that has the code translation and theres a link there. Don't waste money on a code reader when you can do it this way for free.

14. Mick

from Maine

Not sure if it's the same codes, but I have list of the GM code interpretations. If anyone wants I'd be glad to give them out.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The key cycle trick does not work on all years or models of Dodge trucks.

The code reader is worth every penny. You no longer will not have to run to some web site for the answers. You can be driving and have the reader scanning.
    If you are on a trip and a the cheek engine light comes on , you can now cheek it your self and see just what is wrong.

You can clear hard codes or find out why the light comes on then goes out.

OR you can call Banksy and he can help you....:waving:

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The key trick should work on 99 maybe 98 and up to current trucks. Does the code reader say what the code means or just give you the same codes as in the odometer? If it says what the code is, then yes I agree it makes sense to get one. I've never used one and was under the impression all it did was give the code, clearing them is handy that's for sure. If I was mistaken on the code reader, I deeply apologize.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  17. Mick

from Maine

The cheap code readers only give you the code number. The more expensive readers will tell you want the code is. You can get ones for around $80 that are specific to a certain year/make of vehicle (I was looking at one for my '96 Chevy 3500TD). With the cheap ones, the thing to do would be to carry around a copy of the code interpretations. You still wouldn't be able to clear the codes, but that's no big deal. They just get stored in memory and disappear after awhile, anyway. The ones that give you a readout, clear the codes and are applicable to most makes/models of vehicles are several hundreds of dollars, up to a couple of thousand.

But around here, all the mechanics will use thier scanners for free to let you know what what's wrong. Is being able to scan it "on the spot" worth $80 - $100? To me, it's not since I'm going to pay someone to fix it anyway.

18. SpruceLandscape

Banksy, I cycled my key like you suggested and was able to pull up the code P 0071.

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The key trick does not work on 98 models or some current trucks ether they seem to change this option like some people change underwear..

Mick Quote:

The cheap code readers only give you the code number. The more expensive readers will tell you want the code is. You can get ones for around $80 that are specific to a certain year/make of vehicle (I was looking at one for my '96 Chevy 3500TD). With the cheap ones, the thing to do would be to carry around a copy of the code interpretations. You still wouldn't be able to clear the codes, but that's no big deal. They just get stored in memory and disappear after awhile, anyway. The ones that give you a readout, clear the codes and are applicable to most makes/models of vehicles are several hundreds of dollars, up to a couple of thousand.

Your right, they will only give you the code, But any repair manual has the codes listed in it. But it is easy to figure it out when < miss fire cly #2, goes across the screen.(example)
    Your right there make specific.

The cheep ones will let you read all of the codes easily.
    Not was that the pause and how many flashes was that..

The cheep ones WILL let you CLEAR the codes , reset the cheek engine light, mine does and was around $100 .
    http://http://www.actron.com/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  20. SpruceLandscape

the way that I got the key trick to work was to turn to the on position and then off is just one click down, not all the way off. Cycle it like that in the on off on off on pattern and it will come up immediately. My truck is a 2006