1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Chevy/GMC Plow Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dmjr77, Dec 24, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Hello,
    I have been actively looking at new trucks & plow equipment since I am looking at doing a mjor upgrade in the spring time. I recently looked at a 06 Chevy Duramax and saw it was equipped with a plow prep. I also looked at a 06 1500 Ext Cab and saw that there is no plow prep offered. I am confused here as to what I can put a plow on or not
    Thank you
    Merry Christmas

2. Chevman

Chevman Junior Member
    from NE PA

Go with the one with the plow prep, it is all ready to go with all the little goodies, be sure the first time your out plowing that it does not overheat, if it does take it right back and tell them they don't have the right clutch fan on it, the plow prep has heavier springs in the front, trans cooler, low temp locking clutch fan, wiring for roof light, and maybe a few more goodies I forgot about, I would not put a plow on a 1500 series, just not beefy enough. hope this helps, Happy Holidays.

3. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

As far as I know anything with the VYU Snow Plow Prep you are safe.
    If the truck does not have a Snow Plow Prep Packacge they will not warranty it for service if you put a plow on it.

Jason

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I would personally get the Duramax as I have one and absolutely love it, but even a 1500 is a good truck. And GM is the only one that puts a plow prep on a 1500 series truck.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

They only put the plow prep on the heavy 1/2ton....1500HD. I would go with the Duramax/Allison combo but it's your decision. If you dont want that much of a truck, check the 2500HD with the 6.0L gas. Hope this all helps, both are very good trucks. Merry Christmas!

6. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I just checked and you can still get a plow prep on a 1500 reg cab short or long box, but you cannot put a 8' on a Duramax, it calls of a 7.5'.

7. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

Its interesting how the reg cab duramax can have a 8 or 9 while the ex cab, crew cab can only have a 7.5. I realize its because there is more weight on the front with the larger cab but heres my thinking......The 7.5, 8, etc all have the same mount, so whats wrong with installing whatever you want? The dealer coulnt tell the difference.
    Fisher said I could only have a 9' steel. I wanted the x-blade 9' so I installed it myself, put timbrens in, cranked the torsion bars, and carry the right weight in the bed and the truck hardly squats. If you set the truck up right you can put whatever you want.

8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

they are saying with extended cab or crew cab the extra weight of the potential passengers would force you to buy a lighter plow

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, I stand corrected. :salute: :eek:

10. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Like some of you other Duramax owners I was surprised to find out that Western/ Fisher said 7.5 plow on my truck. I have been plowing for about 14 years and know that any truck w/ extended, crew cab configuration would be running over your trails with a 7.5 plow:nono: :nono:
    I opted for a 8' Fisher and cranked the bars and added timbrens. The truck hardly squats. But I realized that these truck manufactures need to step up and set these things up a little different when you want to plow with these trucks. It is a given that a 7.5 plow is not sufficient for a longer truck so they should beef up the front end a little to raise the front gvwr so that we can use these for work. After all thats what I bought it for. If I wanted a Mercedes I would have got one. Especially since they are SO close in price:realmad:
    I also agree that if you go Duramax/ Allison you will be happy. this is my first GM vehicle and so far have been nothing but pleased.

Merry Christmas,
    Jason

11. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

Yeah Chevy has to beef up the fronts a little. I have to say I have always been a ford man, (solid front axle etc) but the IFS is pretty good, Id say put in a larger torsion bar, maybe step up the shock quality. My 9' X-blade was for my 2005 F350, but I had to get rid of the truck shorty after I bought the plow for it. My town pays me by the plow size so the 9' works out good. Plus I dont have the plow on for very long.

12. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Don't let people scare you from a 1/2 ton if thats what you want, I've powed the snot out of a few of them and have had the best luck with them out of any other rig I've used.

13. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

My Duramax doesn't call for a 7.5'. I am putting my 8' Fisher HD on this week.

14. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Ive got a nice, almost new, 2005 2500HD for sale if you're willing to go used. already got a fisher on it too.
    click the link down below my name if interested at all..