1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 6.8 liter V10 ??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vmj, Mar 9, 2014.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Looking at a 06 mason dump to purchace... wondering if this 6.8 gas is worth it in a dump..? heard a lot about the older V10 being a bad motor.. Wondering if the newer are any better or should I just go diesel.? thanks

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I think the older ones were prone to spitting spark plugs. If it's a clean truck and a good deal, get it.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've had good luck with mine. Just not at the gas pump.

4. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

does that motor have power for plowing and hauling? I don't do a lot of havey hauling.. stone from time to time I use the truck as a dumpster mostly during summer and plowing in winter with sander

5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Oh ya plenty of power. I'm looking for a dump truck and would rather that than diesel. I love the v10.

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I have a V10....Love that engine. Pass everything but the gas station. It honestly gets about the same mileage as a 5.4 v8. I have 1 of each of them and when they go out plowing and fill them up they are almost identical within a couple bucks. Both out the same amount of time. Plenty of power and torque for plowing. Not as much as the diesels but cost of ownership is a lot less.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If thousands of guys are doing all that with the 5.4 V8, why wouldn't a V10 work that much better?

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

that's what im asking... ive always had diesels.... want to get away from diesels...

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

It's not a diesel but its also not the 5.4. It has plenty of power and great pickup. It doesn't have the low end torque of the diesel but I think it's more than enough. I have a 6.0 and a 6.7 diesel. Looking for another truck now-if they still had the v-10 in the F350 I would buy another. I also love the 6.7 just not the extra 10k it costs to get it in there.

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I have a 02 with the 7.3 diesel and was looking to get another. not finding any. just was always nervous about gas,and was always told the v10 was a bad motor... think I might go look at this truck...

11. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

As someone else said, they had issues with the early ones and the spark plugs. I believe it was corrected in 01 or 02. Manifolds are an issue just like the 5.4. You will have way better pickup than the 7.3, I'm not sure about the torque. The 7.3 is a great engine for sure but it's tough to find good ones now because of the age.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  12. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

I have an '05 V10 in an E450 and it has a ton of low end. I also have a 5.9 Cummins to compare it to. It's not apples to apples, but close enough. It tips the scales at just over 12k and it pulls just fine. However going up hills loaded or empty for that matter I can literally (and I do mean that) watch the gas gauge drop. Mildly loaded I can get maybe 8-9 mpg. The Cummins can tow pretty much anything and still get about 16, so there is your big difference.

For a truck I personally prefer diesel.

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

thanks for all info

14. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

The only bad thing I have heard about these motors, and I havent heard much, is that they are a solid motor. Only bad part is the numbers on the gas tank when you fill it up but I have a philosophy. If you are buying a truck for towing or plowing or anything like that, the last thing on your mind is gas mileage....its a truck after all

15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

We have an 03 F250 2wd V10 at work, it has a service body on it so it's carrying a lot of weight all the time. Engine has never been an issue, except routine maintenance.

The service body was previously on a 98 K2500 Chevy 2wd with 350 engine. Both the Chevy & Ford had auto transmissions. Both trucks got the same mileage and both had the same driver.

I just wish the Ford V10, Dodge V10 and GM 8.1L engines were easy to come by.