1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 5.4liter gas mileage?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gt2002gt, Feb 2, 2006.

1. gt2002gt

gt2002gt Junior Member

ANyone out there have an 06 5.4 liter supercab with a short bed can give me an idea of what kinda gas mileage your getting... All city? All highway? Both? thanks guys

2. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

Ihave a 2001 F250 XLT 5.4L Reg Cab and on average i get about 11-13mpg normal but with a plow i get 8mpg you def dont fall in love with the millage it not exzactly too good

3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

If you gonna get a real mans truck do yourself a favor and get a real mans engine. The smaller engines overworked in such a big truck.

4. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

WRONG!! Thanks for playing.

5. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Ha!! That coming from a guy with a S10 and a 4.3. :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  6. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

My 5.4 has never had any problems. It gets about 17MPG on the highway and 12MPG around town. It drops like crazy when I'm plowing though. But i just ad that to my bill. It's all good.

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Well the best I have got with my 05 F350 5.4 automatic 5speed with 373 gears was 12 and about 6-8 plowing.

8. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

How do you calculate mileage while plowing? I'd like to see that formula.

9. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I missed that! HILARIOUS!!!!

10. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I fill up then start plowing.I'm usually out 14-18hrs for a avg. storm about 240 miles and my truck is empty so 240miles divided by about 33gals=7.2 mpg.So whats the problem?

11. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

What about all the time spent in reverse, idling? That doesn't work out scientifically.

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

do you have one that works better?

Buck

13. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

So what your saying is no one can get an exact MPG because you know Um I was stuck behind a school bus and I was on and off the gas or I got caught at 15 lights or it was cold today and I let my truck warm up for 10 mins or it was very windy give me a freakin break THAT IS REAL WORLD AVERAGE 7.2mpg plowing

14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

We'll when plowing your usually in reverse, idling, etc etc... So that would be the way to figure it out when plowing. But what do I know, lol.

15. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

No, mileage is a measure of distance. If you are plowing you are going back and forth. Your odometer does not accurately measure the distance you have traveled. Therefore, Miles Per Gallon cannot be measured when plowing. The way to measure it is on the highway. Or for an estimate of city driving, in stop and go situations. Reverse uses lots of gas to go nowhere, and you can't measure it.

16. PremierLand

from detroit

True, but nothing can be 100% accurate. But I see what your saying. However I think the other way is the best way, unless theres some other way to factor in for everything else... Let it snow!!!

17. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

You CAN get an accurate highway #. You can simulate stop and go situations to arrive at an estimated city MPG. Throw away any estimate for plowing. But hey, if you are happy with your #s, fine. It is as inaccurate as can be.

18. PremierLand

from detroit

Yep, but then again, I could careless what kind of mileage I get, lol. Its a work truck, im not gonna sit around like some people do and complain about mileage, and complain that I dont get 35mpg like the honda. Im sure you feel the same way though :drinkup:

19. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

There isn't one. That's my point.

20. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Oh, I worry about fuel costs when I tally the benjamins. I just don't work it out in MPG. Trucks are definitely just tools to make money for sure, and hopefully this weekend they will be workin'!:drinkup:

Here's my formula: I filled up 3 times @ $65 per=$195. I made $2700 burning that fuel=life is but a dream...shaboom, shaboom.