1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'06 2500HD Heater Core???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MikeRi24, Jan 5, 2014.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

My employee that drives my 2006 2500HD 6.0 gas told me that he noticed some problems with the heat in the truck. He said that when he lets the truck idle to warm up, the heat doesn't work even when the temp gauge reads 210 but when he starts driving it the heat comes on full blast but any time it sits idle it won 't blow hot air. He also said that once and a while he gets a faint smell of coolant. We checked the coolant level and it was about a quart low so we filled it up. I have never had to add coolant to the truck since I've owned it. Does the heater core sound like the culprit here? if so how difficult of a job is that?
  2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

anyone have any suggestions???
  3. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I would start with a water pump.
  4. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Did you have a t-stat or any cooling system work done? Sounds more like air in the system.
  5. JAJA

JAJA Member

I have had similar problem with my 03 1/2 ton 5.3 I did a new water pump and t state and flushed the cooling system really good that was last winter and have had no problems since
  6. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

my 02 does something like that, sometimes I start up the truck and it wont blow any air. then all of a sudden it will kick on.
    I pretty sure it could be the heater resistor when I wiggle the plug it always kicks on
  7. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

I just had my water pump and tstat replaced two days ago on my 2k 1/2 silverado. when I let the truck warm up it blows hot when I drive the air cools down my guess is like mine its your heater core.
  8. damian

damian Senior Member

i would pressure test the cooling system and confirm where the leak is coming from,especially since heater core replacement in that truck is no fun:A\C discharge the steering column and dash comes out then the hvac case comes out then apart.A center console adds to the fun. If I havent done one in a while it takes me a long day to do a perfect job, that means every nut ,bolt and clip back in its place , no cheating, no rattles.
  9. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

You may have a bigger problem than you think! Pull the resistor and blower motor wiring plugs apart and look at them carefully. They may be melted and/or burnt on the terminals inside the plastic retainer. I have re-pigtaled many for this! Worse case is a truck fire.... nobody needs that!!! Let us know what you find.