1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'06 2500HD Aux Power Socket Dies - Fuse Okay, No Ground

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dougman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

The title kinda says it all. My dashboard aux power socket died during Monday's New England storm. My 9 amp mini-lightbar had been plugged into it. Suddenly... no more rotating lights.

The aux power fuse is okay and the socket's center pin is still +12V hot... but the socket's outer rim... which should be grounded... is not grounded. :confused:

My cigar lighter socket was already dead as a doornail from a mysterious and totally unexplained blown fuse. I have never once used the cigar lighter.

My research here and elsewhere on the Internet shows that this entire odd set of circumstances is actually quite common in Chevy & GM trucks. The phenomena is well known... but the actual solution to the ungrounded aux power socket has never been published (other than conceptually... i.e., "find the bad ground and fix it").

My local Chevy dealership is so useless it hurts. A bird turd on my hood is both smarter and more useful. :angry:

Anyone have any hints or experience about where this bad ground may be occurring... or how to get the dashboard apart (or the aux power socket apart) to attach a brand new ground???

TIA,
    Dougman

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I blew my cig lighter the first storm with my lightbar on it. I have used my aux ever since, but there is no blown fuse for the cig. I dont know what the deal is???

3. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

i think mine did too....

4. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Mine is at the dealer right now for a Check Engine Light and the AuX Power stoped working.
    I will let you know what they changed or did!

Jason

5. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

I had the same thing happen to me. It worked when I got my mini bar (only plugged it in to play with it) and 1st time I plowed it stopped working. Checked the fuse, it was good, so I have no idea.

6. Doghouse2

Doghouse2 Junior Member

Check the socket itself. I remember on some of the older ones there was a ceramic "fuse" built into the housing itself. I don't remember if it was on the ground side, though.

7. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Sounds like a similar "no ground" problem... only on the cigar lighter socket. I'd love to see the arrangement behind that dash to be able to understand how these sockets were intended to be grounded... and where GM's plan is breaking down. :(

Dougman

8. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Thanks Jason. I sincerely hope the two issues are not related. That could mean that mine is a bigger problem than a mere loose ground.

Dougman

9. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Yep... sounds like another lost ground.
    Seems unlikely... but so does losing ground in the first place! :eek:

The big question is... how do I get that socket out of there to check it? I can't seem to access it from the rear nor pull it out from the front.

The useless Chevy dealer near me had no clue. :(

Dougman

10. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ive had my aux power outlet replaced 3 i think, all under warranty.