1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 2500CTD Engine Block Heater question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SpruceLandscape, Sep 24, 2006.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I looked in my owners manual to find out about my engine block heater and whether or not I need to buy a cord for it. I have the plow package and was under the impression that it came with the cord that I need, however.... according to the manual there should be a plug connection located next to one of the headlights, just behind the grill. I have found a wire with a connector on it near the drivers side headlight, but it is pretty small gauge and the connector is obviously nothing that will go into an extension cord. Am I missing the whole thing, or is THAT the cord they are speaking off and I still need to buy an adaptor anyways? Should I even worry about plugging this thing in? This is my first diesel truck, I live in Cleveland, OH and although this isn't Minn. or anything, we still get our fair share of nights below zero. Any help or opinions are appreciated, Thanks.... Chuck

2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Just Another way for Dodge to make you spend money...You have Go buy the cord they stopped putting them in. because they think they arnt nessacary anymore because of the new common rail engin..But i have a lot friends with the newer trcuks that have gone out and bought the cord..

And I would also recomend Joining the national Dodge Diesel club Called the " Turbo Diesel Register" Just Go to this site www.tdr1.com...I can't say enough about the members of this group These guys have saved me a lot of money and saved me a lot of trips to the dealer...They will Answer ANY question you have about your Cummins Ram..
    Good Luck!!!!

3. wls

wls Senior Member

I have a 05 ctd, and live in central Mich, never plugged it in. But I was told it was 10.00 for the cord, so i would assume you hook it to the engine heater, then run it to the front, I could be wrong though.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

IT's a 10 option (from the factory) to have an engine block heater installed. If you didnt order it with the truck it cost around 100-150 to buy the block heater, it's not just the cord. You can use a standard extension cord to plug it in. I dont know why people think they need to buy a special cord from dodge. Mine is located next to the radiator on the passenger side. If you need pics I can take one.

5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

I know 3 people that had the block heater..but the truck did not come with the cord to plug in.

6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Mine was purchased in Ontario, Canada and came with the cord.

But... it was a dealer owned demo

7. wls

wls Senior Member

Thats how mine came.

8. DaySpring Services

All you need is an extension cord. The engine block heater ends with a male end to plug the cord into.

9. SpruceLandscape

RichardNY, if you could, I would appreciate the pics. The only cord or connection that I have found is on the Driverside near the headlight, and it sure doesn't look very substantial. Thanks

10. DaySpring Services

I think I know which wire you're talking about, not its not it. I'll get the pics up asap.

11. DaySpring Services

I did a little research and found a picture online, not the best but it should do. It just has a protective cap over the plug.

plug2.jpg

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The block heater connection is on the right hand side of the block behind the oil filter. Just unscrew the cap and plug in the new cord and tighten down the nut that goes in place of the cap you took off. Route the cord to wherever you want and your all set. I live in NC and below 35 degrees I plug it in usually. The engine sounds happier in the morning and the wait to start light shuts right off like in the summer, so that helps the batteries and everything else. I paid $10.50 for the cord at a Cummins shop in Massachusetts. Some day they may stop putting in the block heater and make it an option, but as far as I know they ALL have them.

13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine came with it. Talking to others I know theres did too.....Sucks for you guys!

14. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Mine didn't come with it I had to pay $26 for the cord.

15. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

Chuck,

As some of the others have stated, the heater is already in the engine, the cord is something extra to buy. It is just behind the oil filter on the passenger side- black cap, finger tight- saw it yesterday when I did my first oil change. BUT....

The dealer will be $$$. (just like the first CTD oil filter I bought from the dealer- $38 !!!!!!!!!)

If you can find a local Cummins repair shop, it will be A LOT less. From what I have read, it should be about $15 vs. nearly 3x more at the dealer.

We have had several nights of temps in the 20's so far and our '06 just had the grid heater light on a bit longer on those mornings, but started right up. But I know a few nights of -20 to -30 are coming so I better get the cord myself. I have a Cummins repair shop on the same road as the Dodge dealer. We'll see..................

John

16. SpruceLandscape

John, thank you for the reply. I actually just did exactly what you suggested. After contacting several Dodge dealers, they all wanted $46 + tax just for the cord, along with clost to $40 for oil filters (will have my first change coming soon). I was able to find a Cummins service center in Bedford Oh. and was able to purchase the cord for $16 and oil filters for just over $11. The only difference I noticed in the cord they gave me versus the one from Dodge is that this one did not have any kind of a cover to put over the 3-prong end. Easy fix though, I just snipped off the end of an old extension cord and was done. =o) If anyone would like to see pics of my installation, let me know, I'll be happy to share.

Chuck

17. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

both of mine were an option. like they said $10 option. Orederd one is like $40. Nice to have warm air quickly and not have to wait for them to warm up.