1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 2500 QC Hemi warranty question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by qwkdrwmgw, Jan 19, 2012.

1. qwkdrwmgw

qwkdrwmgw Junior Member

I am looking at a 06 QC with a Hemi it only has 20,000 miles on it. It has pulled a 5th wheel. Well I was checking into an extended warranty and the dealer told me that if I put a plow on it that the warranty would be voided. My question is do any of you Dodge guys think I will have a problem in say the next 45,000 miles or should I look for another company that will honor a warranty.

2. 05ram

05ram Member

Pretty sure if you do not have the plow prep package they will not honor the warranty. But the plow would have had to caused the failure.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Correct it would have to be caused by the plow and who's to say you even have a plow? My 04 came setup for a plow but no blade...

4. qwkdrwmgw

qwkdrwmgw Junior Member

If the plow mount is on the truck wouldn't they know then about the plow. I just hate to spend that much money on a truck just to find out they won't cover it if something goes wrong. Unless you guys don't think anything will go wrong.

5. plowguy43

Like I said I bought my 04 2500 HEMI from a dealer with plow mounts and wiring installed on it but no plowside. It was supposedly stolen from the previous owner. If they ever tried to deny a warranty claim of mine because of the plow I would've laughed at them and said prove it. Magnusson moss act (however you spell it)

6. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

If the suspension is covered under that warranty, they won't cover the front end parts and blame it on the plow (ghey I know, but they will fight you on it).

Make sure to listen for valvetrain noise and Exhaust leak, They are kinda know for broken valve springs and broken exhaust studs on the 2500/3500 Hemi's because the powerband is so high (esp. pulling 5th wheel, she was in the upper rpms while pulling most likely.

P.S. My comments are not saying the truck is bad, just pointing some things to look for, The front end on dodges are a little weak in the longevity dept. (I.E. Ball joints, tierods, etc)

7. qwkdrwmgw

qwkdrwmgw Junior Member

Ok i will check for those things. I understand what your saying about the mounts already on the truck. I still haven't made up my mind on the truck. Thanks for the replies.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I THINK the only thing really covered under an extended warranty is the engine anyways. I am doubt you would ever use the warranty before it expires anyways. The 100k is powertrain only so engine, trans, t-case...I think the only thing to worry about would be the trans. I would suspect the trans would last at least 2-3years worst case.

9. 05ram

05ram Member

Just remember, plowing places additional stress on the vehicle. Things will break and wear out faster. You have to step up the maintenance and not drive it like you stole it. This is on any truck new or old. Hopefully you will make enough to cover all expenses and put some in your pocket.

10. NBI Lawn

Remember, ball joints, brakes, u-joints aren't covered by an extended warranty anyway.

11. plowguy43

True and good points all around. Although I don't see the tranny being much of a problem, the 545RFE has been very reliable. I beat the crap out of mine in both my 03 Dakota and 04 Ram 2500 and it never batted an eye at what I did.

Did I care for the gear spacing? No, it sucked, but the tranny was solid unlike the 2nd gen's. That being said, yes the front end parts will go, they weren't the best quality from the factor and aren't maintainable (can't grease them). Replace the ball joints with Carli, Dynatech, XRF, or even Moog, bearings/hubs with Timkens and you should be good for awhile.

12. NBI Lawn

I mentioned the trans only because with the warranty thats the only part that would most likely have an issue if any of it did.

13. plowguy43

Got ya, not trying to pee in anyones cheerios! :drinkup:

14. qwkdrwmgw

qwkdrwmgw Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I have decided to look for an older 1 ton dump truck with a plow that way I can use the dump truck all year for my constuction business. I am not trying to make a living plowing I just have a few places that have asked me to plow for them.

15. plowguy43

Go for a 2nd gen V10 - very reliable engine, tons of torque, same tranny as the cummins, and you'll find some great deals on them in comparison. Plus the gas mileage will be about the same as the V8's.

16. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

If the truck has a plow prep package and you BUY an extended warranty everything will be covered if you purchase the top warranty. If it doesn't have a plow prep package and you buy the extended warranty, like others have said the plow would have had to cause the problem. I bought a 2006 Cummins in June with 25,000 miles on it and I bought an extended warranty that is bumper to bumper covered through Chrysler not a third party warranty company. Just my .02. Good luck

17. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

I bought a bumper to bumper Chrysler extended service contract for my 05 2500 and everything is covered but brake pads and rotors. That service contract has already paid for itself now as in the last year, they've done my heater core and all of the tie-rod ends/draglink / track bar. Thumbs Up