1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 2500 CTD w / MISS

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Oct 18, 2010.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I have an truck with about 60kmiles on the clock. When at idle it seems to miss once and a while. Will run fine for 1-3 min then a flutter then back to normal. Under load and driving everything is fine. I was thinking perhaps the valves need adjusting ?? Anyone have any other thoughts.

Also when pulling a heavy trailer it seems to smell funny. Almost like it is running rich. I don't think it is very serious, but would be nice to know what the problem is.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

So I did some searching on the net....

The smell turns out to be the Rotella 15w-40 oil I put in. Seems under a load it will heat up and create a awful stink. The slight miss might be from the oil change too. There are two wires near the oil filter(AC comressor) that can rub against the engine causing them to ground out. This can cause a hard start and a miss at idle. Seems to all make sense, the smell and miss happened after I changed the oil last.

Will let you know!!!!

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My 03 CTD had a similar issue and it's the reason I got rid of it last year.

The engine started to cough a little bit and then return to normal idle. About a month after it started happening I got a message across the odometer that said "no bus". The truck wouldn't start and I had to tow it into the local Dodge dealer.

They said the computer was out but after reading through hundreds of posts on Dodge related websites I found out that no one really knows what causes the "no bus" signal to appear. Swapping out the computer does return your truck to a running condition but it's not the true "fix" you need because the same thing can happen again in a short period of time.

I felt that my truck was no longer reliable so I had to get rid of it. I hope this isn't the case for you but from what you've written it sure sounds similar.

You might want to Google "Dodge no bus" and do some reading. Good luck.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have had 3 - 5.9's but they have been older then yours.

When I would have problems some of the things I always do is

Clean the sensors... IAT and MAP sensor. use air intake cleaner not carb cleaner. Make sure they are nice and dry before putting back
    Swap your fuel filter, clean your battery ends and run some injector cleaner thru the tank

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

might be an injector going out.

6. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

If fluxuation is in cooler weather during start up the heating cycle takes a big draw on the electrical system. You should be switching over to run a rated 5w30 motor oil like amsoil. 15w40 heavy oil is no longer needed for protection. Check it out. Makes cold weather starts a lot easier.

7. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

Mine does it in the morning then its fine. Seems like when the grid heater kicks in it flutters alittle, Itsdone it since i bought it.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Added some injector cleaner... All is good now. Must of stirred up some junk when I changed the fuel filter at the last oil change.