1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06/07 6.0l

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Mar 3, 2009.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Any opinions on a late 6.0L? I know of the EGR/turbo/ etc issues of the early motors, but is the 06 engine a headache too?

2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Been happy with my 06 and 07.
    The 07 has more miles with 39,000 miles on it now. Been a great truck so far.

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

the 6.0 is a great engine, just dont slack on the maintenance!!!!!!

BTW DC, I was going to PM you, I noticed you have been quiet on all the forums lately.

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

batting around the idea of an 05 or 06 with a 6.0 because I love the diesels but I'm a little afraid of a truck old enough to have a 7.3. My buddy with a 7.3 has really put the fear of god in me about the 6.0 so I am also really nervous about that, due to the reputation.

I found a 2006 with less than 60,000 miles that is a Ford CPO vehicle so it says it has a 6 year 100K warranty, does anyone know if this would cover common 6.0 ailments?

-Jer

5. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i just purchased a 2006 f250 wit the 6.0l engine. i did a lot of searching and didnt want ot buy a truck old enough to have the 7.3l. i did a lot of research and was told most all of the bugs were worked out by the 06-07 trucks and they just had the basics like the egr system and headgaskets if you tune em. as far as i know the ford warranty covers everything on the engine but they also have this great warranty you can buy that is a 5yr/200k that covers everything on the engine with 0 deductable. its not much money and pays for itself after 1 problem pretty much. go to dieselwarranty.com and it shows you it. you can buy directly from ford or form the dealer.

6. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Still around, haven't been on here much since the snow died down. Been busy with other things as well :D

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ive thought about picking up a 06/07 6.0 too. My 04 Duramax has been very reliable in the 5 years I had it. Thats one thing I would be concerned about with owning a 6.0 is reliability. I use my truck all day everyday 8 months out of the year and I plow in the winter. I love the superdutys though. I heard somewhere, it might have been on here, that the 6.0s lately havent had as many problems since the introduction of ULSD since the motor was designed to run on it. Is there any truth to this?

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks Metalli... and good luck with the new truck.

I'm in a dilemma here. I WANT a diesel but I don't know if it is really worth it to me... here's an example.

2 trucks i'm looking at-

2006 F 250 6.0 diesel with 78,000 miles
    2005 F 350 5.4 gas with 48,000 miles

Both are listed for $20,000 and are very similarly equipped. (tow command, FX4, clean looking trucks) The 350 has 4x4 on the floor, the 250 has it on the dash.

350 Gasser Pros -
    higher GVW
    lots less miles
    more plow capacity due to lighter engine
    No worries of 6.0 gremlins

250 Diesel Pros -
    Sweet Diesel sound and Torque
    Better "gas" mileage
    Newer (but higher miles sort of negates this)

So what's my choice? sure the diesel is nice but is it really worth buying a truck with 30,000 more miles to get a diesel of questionable reliability for slightly better gas mileage and the cool feeling you get from having a diesel? I know the diesels are supposed to run forever, but the rest of the truck still has 30,000 miles more wear than the other one. Sure the Diesel has more torque but I never really felt under powered in my tahoe towing my trailer and the gasser has about 50 more horsepower and 30 more pounds of torque, not a huge difference, but enough to make up for the difference in weight, at least.

Any opinions would be great, especially if anyone has dark secrets about the 5.4.

-Jer

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. schmol

schmol Senior Member

I have a 06 F250 xlt 4x4 with a 5.4 in it. This motor is no drag race winner but pulls anything i've hooked up to it, and it never breaks down. I pull a 12k float trailer loaded about three times a week and it performs flawlessly! I am with you on the worries of owning a 6.0 diesel regardless of the year. The consensus is usually you get one completely problem free or one that is never out of the shop. www.ford-trucks.com is an outstanding source for all superduty gas and diesel info, check it out. I would honestly look for a good 02 7.3 as opposed to gambling with the 6.0. Yes a diesel would be better for pulling but I never worry about a speeding ticket on my way to work!

10. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

well do an oasis on the truck. i checked mine out for a while. it was a florida truck until i bought it which was nice. it had a clean carfax and blank oasis which means its never had any real work done to it probably but dont know about the maintenance history. ive read that for the most part if they dont have any early problems or an oasis report that shows a lot of work being done on it you should be in the clear. generally problematic ones always have problems and one that have a good past generally stay relatively trouble free. i also chose to buy from a very reputable place that goes over all their trucks with a fine tooth comb so any real problems were takin care of. i really have no need for a diesel either but have always wanted one and love the 99-07 super dutys, they look awesome and are real beefy. maybe keep looking around too, my 06 had 55k miles and i paid 20,900 for it. dont know how your area is with diesel prices but diesel is expensive here so truck price are staying relatively cheap it seems.