1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05hd dident get plow prep what do i need

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by raptorman03, Oct 15, 2005.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

my dumb ass dident get the plow prep on my 05 2500hd> What do i need to go get to make it right. Should i get with the dealer and ask him about it?

2. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

You MUST get the updated bigger clutch fan or your truck will overheat badly. If nothing else, get that. I think you need a bigger alternator too. That should do it.
    g

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you have an additional trans cooler too. Not just the one built into the radiator. Your suspension should be fine.

4. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

GOOP POINT!, Dont wanna miss that one...

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Not sure all these things you guys are talking about.... I have the plow prep package and it only consists of 145 amp alt, Skid plates, and roof light wiring.

Here is a copy of my window sticker.

windowsticker.jpg

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Something you might want to consider is that with no ploiw prep package putting plow on viods warrenty of anything that is affected by doing so. Just something to consider.

7. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

my salesman told me on my 05 2500 it would viod the warrenty

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If the truck comes with a plow prep package there is no void of warranty. You can always go to the district rep - a step above the dealer. However, abuse is abuse, use is use - don't let them confuse the situation.

The plow prep package is typically more than just lights, 145 amp alt and skid plates. It is only listed that way because you already had the other items included in your towing package. Look into your gerill and you will see the larger trans cooler. You have the suspension because it is an HD.

9. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Putting a plow on a truck won't void the warranty but if you abuse the hell out of it they will put it in your a$$, plow or not its not meant to be slammin and jammin.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

The plow prep. also contains (if not included in another pkg.)
    Power steering cooler, aux. trans. cooler, HD back up lamp
    circuit,front pkg. lamp and headlamp wiring connections,
    etc, etc..............

For a full list and wiring schematics check out:
    http://www.gmupfitter.com
    Go to publications, pg. 27

11. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

My point is, most of those upgrades are probably already on his truck, it is a HD.

The snow plow prep. Consists of what it say, for the price it lists. How can one argue that?

His question is what else does he need to make up a snow plow prep package.

12. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

you WILL VOID THE WARRANTY IF YOUR TRUCK DOES NOT HAVE THE PLOW PREP.I just do not understand you guys if your buying a new truck why not get one that is properly equipted to do the job your asking of it.Or we will be flooded with stupid questions[why is my truck overheating,why does the front end sag on my truck,why can't i put a 86 11 blizzard on my 84 dodge 1/2 ton,why is bumper on my F150 dragging on the ground with a 2.5yrd sander in the back do i need timbrens?what are timbrens?:angry: ]

13. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

I was told last night at Trager Motors when looking at a 2006 4x4 duramax that a snow plow will not void the warranty. He said it would not even on a used pickup.

14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

With out the plow prep I also believe it will not have the 4800lbs front axel rating....

15. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Entirely false, you MAY void PARTS of the warranty IF they can PROVE the SNOWPLOW directly CAUSED the damage.

16. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

That's right and my truck is equiped to plow snow. Do you really think a stupid wire and a bigger alternator is going to make it or break it?

Salesman even said that if something breaks and hasn't been abused then they will replacement. If I go 20 mph and nail a curb and destroy the frame its all me.

Oh riddle me this EchoValley if you know so much about nothing, why is it I even bought an extended warranty from GM with my truck that would cover excessive wear on the truck as it gets older?

17. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

OH i forgot you always believe a CAR SALESMAN because they WOULD NEVER BE UNTRUTHFULL:rolleyes: .It should be funny when something stupid breaks in the middle of a snow storm and your truck gets towed in on a flatbed with the plow on the front and they look up the vin and say sorry its not covered payup.Per the warranty information book that came with my 2005 quad cab,snow plow prep truck YOUR WARRANTY DOESN'T COVER ANY PART THAT DAIMLER CHRYSLER DIDN'T SUPPLY OR IS NOT CERTIFIED FOR USE ON YOUR TRUCK.NOR DO THEY COVER THE COSTS OF ANY REPAIR THAT MIGHT BECAUSED OR NEEDED.But i'm sure your sales guy will take care of it for YOU

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

echovalley.....This is a GM product, not a Dodge.

raptorman,

Check your door sticker to see if you have the 4800lb FAWR.

We don't know what engine you have on your truck....Lets assume it's the 6.0L.

We also don't know your cab/bed size. You need regular or ext. cab for VYU to be available.

I haven't seen proof that they use a different trans cooler on VYU and non-VYU trucks.

Cooling fan situation should be OK now. Mine was faulty and caused temps to skyrocket, dealer said I had the proper one, I then told them to replace it anyway.....PROBLEM FIXED! Night and day difference.

Skid plates....often included in other packages, but not really a big issue if you ask me.

I'll assume you have the G80 locking rear.

Don't need to be concerned with a firewall hole, as when they say it's included....it's not anyway.

So basically that brings us to the roof mounted beacon switch and wires. As this is the ONLY option you cant really order seperately.

So if you can live w/o the beacon switch and harness, you should be fine.

Your alternator should be fine.....I plowed many a storm with a 60amp alt and lesser batteries than we have today.

Make sure you have the 4800lb FAWR though....you can always switch T-bars if you want. Personally I'd just add Timbrens and enjoy the smoother ride.

19. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

it will void the warranty

two chevy dealerships told me if you put a plow on a 2500 without the prep package it WILL void the warranty

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It can NOT void the warranty. :nono: