1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Ultramount poly-pro drawing too much power

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowin-thru, Jan 2, 2010.

1. plowin-thru

plowin-thru Junior Member

tymusic Ok plow-heads, teach me the good stuff!

I recently hooked my 94 GMC 2500 6.5 turbo diesel to an 05 Ultramount.

replaced all plow-side wires for a 3plug system.

replaced 11pin lighting harness truck side. (kiddy work)

filled up the pump with western hydro fluid.

everything works fine, left, right , up, down...BUT!!!! It seems to draw a heavy load off the alt. My lights dim down when in operation, but continue to work fine... I dont mean they drop 1 or 2 volts...dash reads 14 volts when running, but when i give a command to the plow...9-10 volts.

I have 2 1000A batteries that are brand new.
    all connections have been lubed up...

any help would be awesome!tymusic

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

likely bad ground. double check all connections. if all is well, bad motor time.

3. plowin-thru

plowin-thru Junior Member

ok so bad ground on the plow? or in my harness? should i try to clean the terminals on the plow side where the power cables connect to the pump? i have a hard time believing that it's the motor because it moves with ease and no jumping...smooth operation...just drainage.

please advise...when the sun comes up, i'll be out there cleaning all my terminals.

thought: could it be the isolation module? maybe bad connections? i didnt wire the truck side, so im not sure about how it functions under the hood

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad connection or bad motor. not the module.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto. The plow can appear to be functioning just fine but a poor connection, bad motor relay, or dying motor will draw a ton of excessive current.