1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

`05 Sierra wipers problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tuna, Mar 8, 2009.

1. tuna

tuna Senior Member

``05 Sierra the wiper will work on hi speed only,no low speed no intermitent no momentary when you turn the switch backward.No washers either,this happed a couple weeks ago and then they started working again,now they are out I`m thinking wiper motor?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I would be thinking switch first. Wiper motor works on high. Sounds like a switch control problem

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Multi function switch (turn signal) they kinda suck you have to pull the steering wheel be carefull not to make the airbag go BOOM

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly. The multi's are known to die from time to time, the motors last forever. Be ready for a shocker when you head into the dealer to purchase the switch.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we had a similar problem and it ended up being the circuit board on the motor underneath the hood.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

It's the switch, It can be done without removing the steering wheel But it is a bi**h.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Noway?? Really? I've always pulled the wheel. Always being 5 times.

8. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Replaced one on the '02 to add cruise , didn't have to remove steering wheel.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea I don't pull the wheels either. A little tougher on the fingers but faster in the long run.

10. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I would check the circuit board like Pro Touch said. It was a very common problem on the OBS GM's. The old one were fairly cheap and easy to replace so check it out before spending $ on a new multi switch.

11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Im pulled the plug off the wiper motor and did some probing with a test light.1 pin in the plug has power.Also when i touched one of the lower pins the washers came on.Does this shed any more light on the situation?

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Can you see inside the plug to see if the plugs are corroded? or green in color?

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You might just need to clean the contacts on the pump and in the connector. Scrape them with what ever you can get at them. Then add some dieelectic greese.

14. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Not corroded nice and clean silver color.

15. tuna

tuna Senior Member

How do you test the circuit board?

16. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

are the contacts sprung up and making contact?

17. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I assume so,there is not a lot of room in that plug to not make contact.I wiggled the plug around and still got nothing.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats because the multi function switch is defective, not the wiper motor. ;)

19. tuna

tuna Senior Member

It sure is looking that way ,the plug test tells me that power is not getting to the motor.Does anyone know where I can find info on how the change the stalk?

20. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Went to the dealer today got a price of $160.00 for the switch.