1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Ram Cummins test drive

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Caneplow, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I owned a 01 Ram and I really liked it; as I'm in the market right now for a new truck I have been really looking at the Fords and Chevys and the Tranny problems with the Dodges have scared me.

I have to tell you; I took a 05 Ram, Cummins, extended cab for a ride tonight.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! I'm totally impressed with this truck. I LOVED IT! Great ride, roomy interior and a Diesel that is 85% quitier and smooth as heck. I can't beileve how much I liked this truck.

So I was linking about the one ton 3500 and the on thing is that I am concerned about is what plow size I would put on it. I'm thinking about timbers and an 810. I think it should be fine.

What a nice driving truck. I am driving the Chevy and Fords next week.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

They beefed up the axle a lot in 03 but you need to still watch your weight a bit for warranty concern. Lot of people like diesel for plowing but they really can load front axle too. The cummins is probaly the heaviest one too.

3. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

are you saying that the 810 is too heavy?

4. Tarkus

I am say better clear it with dealer for warranty. My gas truck weighs 3400 in front with no plow and 4500 with a 8 ft fisher mounted and in transport position. Look at front axle weight before plow as dealer will and add about 150% to plow weight and that is about how much it will add to front axle. Se if you can get dealer to sell you the plow as a dealer approved option (i did) so that there will be no warranty issues. My guess is that without a plow you will be 4200 to 4500lbs to start with and can exceed 6000lbs front axle weight with a heavy plow.

5. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I don't think the dealer will sell the truck with a plow as an option. Thanks for the feedback.

Boy did the truck really ride nice.

6. Tarkus

They might if they want your bussiness bad enough. They need to start making lighter weight diesels for some of these pickups. Word is in 06 or 07 at lastest that Dodge is going with a Dalmer-Benz off the shelve diesel in that truck. You might wait.

7. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I don't know how that compaires to the Cummins.

8. Tarkus

Cummins contract is running out and will not be renewed and Benz is thee diesel engine to have in europe and will likely be a more refined too and more compact and lighter in weight too. The Cummins was a good run in its day but times and needs do change. It weight is not getting any better.

9. sam973

sam973 Member

I've seen quite a few 03-05 Dodge diesels around my area with 8-9ft fishers on them. A 9ft fisher is about as heavy a plow as you will find, so I think you should be fine. The dealer can't tell what size plow you have anyway, if you get the plow after you buy the truck. all the mounts are the same. For all they know you could be running a 7.5 on there. You don't take the truck in for service with the plow on. My dodge dealer didn't care about the plows, he had them put on before my trucks were picked up. It will very dealer to dealer.

10. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

That's interesting news about the Cummins and Benz switch. I am going to have to read more about this now.

11. Tarkus

It is going to happen for sure, I am just not sure if it is 06 or 07 though. Dalmer does not want to outsource what it has in house. Word is too the GM is dumping the Dmax too about the same time frame.

12. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

You Better Go With Dodge !!!!

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The agreement between Dodge and Cummins runs out in '07, the benz diesel is the one that currently resides in the Dodge Sprinter vans, so it would not be suprising if it ended up in the Ram too.

14. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Well, I can't wait that long for a new truck! :)

15. Tarkus

It your nickel. When I pay a lot for a truck I expect it to last a while, at least 6 to 8 years or a lot more and spend my money on other toys.

16. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

The cummins is a fine engine and will easily last that long

17. Tarkus

I have no aurgument there, yours is just getting broken in and you want to sell it.

18. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Sorry, I should have been clear. I am giving it to my Dad. He had never owned anything in his life and this is a gift from me. He love so much and putting up with me his whole life I know I should do something nice for him! :)

19. Tarkus

Oh okay, the new one or your old one?

20. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

No, I gave him the 01 and I'm buying a new truck for me.