1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Ram 2500 Death Wobble

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Plow Dude, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

For the last month everytime I hit a bump or imperfection on the highway my stearingwheel would "shimmy." Just over the 4th of July weekend while driving on highway the whole front end shook violently and I had to slow down to about 30mph for it to stop. This happened frequently every time I drove over a bump. Pretty scary. This is the second time I've had to take it to the dealership for this type of problem. Thank god its still on warranty.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Mine got that bad......replaced all 4 ball joints with greasable ones and havent had a problem since.

3. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

IF the ball joints aren't bad, and the problem persists. Buy a steering box brace.

4. stillen

stillen Senior Member

whobble

talked to 1 of the techs in the dodge truck shop. they said either ball joint(s), or tie rods.....

He did say be prepared if its the ball joints. The last 2500hd that came in cost over 1200 bux..... he said a few have come in needing over 4000 in front end work.

5. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

I have had 7 dodges with the diesels, and out of 7 4 have done this. Mine were usually fixed by rotating the tires. Although had to replace a steering box bracket as said in another post. Most of the ones that did it to me were the 4x4 duallys. Never had it happen on a 3/4 ton.

6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Yes, a dealership will charge about $1200 to replace all 4 ball joints.

I bought my own at NAPA and had a mechanic do it for a total bill of $600.

7. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

Well, got the tuck back from the shop and they replaced a bunch of stuff. See for your self. Probably would have cost thousands if it wasn't on warranty. Funny thing is, I can still feel a little wobble when I hit bumps on the highway.

lastscan.jpg

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That's because all you still need a new track-bar.
    They will say it's in spec but replace it anyway.

I've run into this same situation at the stealer before..

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a dealer needed some work for a tech.

BTW, I knew you were going to say track-bar.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Are the tires stock size ?
    Seams many have issues with over sized D rated tires on 2500's. BF's are famous for creating this problem.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: hard-pan bar......lol
    I wanted to right after his first post but I thought it was obvious?

It seams the dealers are willing to throw parts at it in hopes of getting it right, :realmad: "replacement mechanics"

It didn't throw a code?
    We don't know what it is?
    Typical dealer...

I,ve worn out a few sets of BFg's and never had a problem with there tires or any other brand.
    If it is being caused by unbalanced tires you can't blame the tire.
    blame the tech that balanced them or the driver for scrapping the wheel weights off...

ps if it was an unbalanced tire it would be wobbling of all the time.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  12. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Jason, Ummmm looks like you were out of factory warranty. Did you by an extended warranty to cover after 3/36? WAs it a chrysler warranty? I just bought an extended warranty for my 05 which has 32k on it and iam hoping it was not a waste of money.... all the techs at my dealer (i work here as a IT guy) say a 1400 warranty gors a long way with these trucks.... Im covered for an additional 6/60 from the day i bought it.

13. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I had to pay a $100 deductable. After 36,000 miles I am only covered up to 60,000 miles or 6 years with the deductable. I am just about over 60,000 miles, so I am gonna need an extended warranty considering all the problems I have had with this truck.

14. stillen

stillen Senior Member

as a ne owner of a dodge prodcut, in this case a RAM.... I'm curious to hear hat problems you've encountered... My sierra I just traded had 223k on the clock, and since day 1, alls I put into it was brakes/tires/a radiator at 150k, 1 fuel pump.. thats it......

15. banksl&s

banksl&s Member

I have a 2500 4x4 with a Hemi and it had that problem, it was a bent trac bar. At the time I was running "C" load range tires on it. The dealer told me it was the tires, so I bought BFG rugged trails from them. I had run the C load range for about 20,000 miles so I thought they might have "broke down". That was o.k. for a while then it started doing it again, found out the wheel bearings on the driver's side needed replaced. Just had that done on Friday and the C series tires put back on. Now they tell me the ball joints are bad. Called O'Reilley's and $416 for upper and lower ball joints for both sides. BTW the truck has about 87,000 miles on it. Here I bought a solid front axle 3/4 ton so I wouldn't have front end problems. HAHA.

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

My post about "Over Size" BF's was based on guys who lifted there front ends and stuffed over sized "C" rated tires that have a high weight rating but no "D" rating. From what I understand they dont have the sidewall rigidity of a "D" rated tire. So when they hit a hard bridge joint in the road or similar at speed on a turn they have issues with death wobble that was not there with stock "D" rated tires. The BFG 315 "C" rated tires are famous for this, probally more issues with them because they sell more then the rest put together. The other thing to remember is "over sized" tires put more stress on wheel bearings as well.

I have had zero "death wobble" issues with 5 Dodge 2500 series trucks, but I also run stock size "D" rated tires.

17. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

99.9% of the time it's going to be the track bar. 94-01 (02 for 3/4 and 1 ton) the whole trackbar needs to be replaced because the tie rod end that attaches to the frame on the drivers side wears out. Or you can replace that end with a huges joint (I think that's the name off the top of my head) on the 03 and newer, you just have to replace the bushings.

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if im not mistaken the drivers side can simly replace the tierod end, as it scews off , it is the passenger side that is one peace? but it is the drivers side that goes bad more often

and im glad this subject came back up again .... YIPPY < SKIPPY :redbounce , my 94 has a "death wobble" when the passenger side wheel hits a harder bump at a high rate of speed. i only figured it out but driving a little off the road to avoid some road kill. and man she showed me a death wobble. i almost thought the tire was bouncing or something to that effect

however , i put the truck up in the air, and and saw zero signs of wear, no slop in any joints, every thing felt good and tight, like a 21 yr old should. im thinking since it just started i might need to give it time to let what ever item is bad wear a little more and shows signs

19. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

im putting a steering brace on my truck from bd performance it is supposed to give it a firmer feel and help with the death wobble

i seen it in diesel power magazine if any of you get it

20. justwheelit

justwheelit Member