1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 ram 2500 5.9l many ?'s

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dozerdawg, Nov 5, 2010.

1. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

New to the site and I have a lot of questions about my plow options considering thier weight. Also not sure if I have the plow prep. my alt says 136a and has two batteries. i bought the rig 7 months ago and i love it. I was shocked when i did the quick match @ bossplow .com and it said dodge doesn't rec. putting a plow on her. It has a leveling kit. Any suggestions on what i can do to git'er ready 2 plow? I really want to strap a boss 8'2" vxt on her! THX in advance

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Curtis on my 05 2500 and a Western on the 04 2500

100_0301.jpg

3. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

what size plows and are both trucks reg. cab? gas or diesel? dodge frowns:mad: on plows on quad cabs and more importantly ones with a diesel engine.Did you do anything to prep the truck or is it all stock?

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

So here is the list of plows not to put on your Cummins:

It's this simple. Get ready to replace everything in the front end with Moog or XRF and add some Supercoils to the front end. Lots of oils spray. Stick with the V blades for the straight ones will be a waste of time!!!!

5. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

Gotcha. The truck has some kind of under coat, like a black film? I don't know exactly since i got it used. What is the oil spray and can i buy it and apply it myself? Thx

6. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

You can't listen to want is right for your truck. We just sold an 05 dodge cummins with a ultra mount pro plus 8.5ft handled it like a dream and never let us down plowing, hopefully the new durmax we replaced it with will do the same. We only put an 8ft pro ploy on it.

7. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

I'm sure it can handle itwesport the question is at what cost?:mechanic: Was your dodge quad or reg cab and what size box? Good luck with the duramax. What yr is the dura? .

8. m3klee

m3klee Member

I have an 04 dodge 2500 quad cab short box with a boss 8ft straight blade. mine does have the hemi and not the diesel but still that should handle it with no issues at all

9. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

thx for your help now i need to settle on a set of tires i have mud terrain tires on it now and i want to keep that aggressive look but not sure how well they will do in the snow. i got the truck right after the winter last year. so i have no idea and would hate to spend the money and not have good traction. the tires im really liking are kumho road venture mt kl71. check em out http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire.aspx?id=f8656bd8-0a87-4166-82b5-0df52d4ac17e&cat=25

10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

look at the goodyear duratracs, i just put a set on my dodge. they have a 10/10 snow rating too from goodyear. your truck will handle a plow fine, just put 1k against the tailgate and your good. you may need to upgrade from oem balljoints to xrf's or carlis or dana/spicer. same with u-joints other than that you wont have any troubles.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Those tires willl be horrible for pushing snow. All you will do is spin and slide..... For deep snow and open trails they will be great !!!! Keep in mind when pushing snow the tires will seldom drive through anything greater than 1/4" of snow and it will be hardened. For pushing never go more aggressive than a all terrain,

What is the best solution??? Keep the mud tires for the summer on the fancy rims and in the winter swap them out for the work rims and tires. A stock set of 17" all season radials with a e rating would be best!!! Also remember wider tires in the snow will actually decrease your traction!!! This is due to the wider tire will increase the surface area the tire sits on and thus decreasing the traction coefficient. Skinny and tall is the key for snow!!!! With 700-1500lb of balast you will grin from ear to ear when pushing some monster piles up and over the curbs.

PS don't forget to gut the tube and remove the silencer ring!!!! Nothing nicer than a spooling turbo while plowing......

12. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

Well I got my nice new boss 8'2" power v xt!!!!:redbounce the only problem is it is in a million pieces!!! and this will be my first complete install.:eek: The red wire goes to the black terminal on the battery right:dizzy: If i get into a pinch I mean when i get to the lights i will get some :help: by a pro on the side. Now just need new skins and SNOW. I can't wait for the first storm. Any thoughts on all season tires for a 3/4 ton truck?

13. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Mastercraft Courser CT. Look just like the Goodrich All-Terrain's only cheaper. No problems so far with my 35"s

14. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

Thx troy, How many miles do you have on tires and do they handle good in dry,wet,snow/ice? Looks like we have the same truck only mine is stock. Nice set up

15. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

Snocommander, How do the duratracs handle? Iread that they were really mooshy on a 3/4 ton thx

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

they were mooshy for the first 1000 miles, they seem fine now. i know they will grip awesome in the snow, just not sure on how long they will last. general grabbers at2's are also a good choice. cooper discovery s/t are also good in the snow.

17. kevink1973

kevink1973 Junior Member

tires

I run hankook atm on my half ton gmc reg cab short box and it plows awesome(esp small residential driveways) but im getting ready to put 8.5 xtreme v on my 09 dodge cummins straight piped/programmin/ten penny eatin/fire breathin/manual 6 speedin s.o.b....... I told the fisher dealer by me that i installed timbrens and leveling kit. He told me i can put any size plow i want on it w/no prob. Now if i can only get that stock clutch to hold until i get a DD.

18. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md

Just installed my plow and now i really cant wait for snow!!!! Boss has it all mapped out for you. My first build and install and i would do it again. Truck hardly drops at all and i have no worries. Now just need to figure out which set of tires to get and soon, real soon. Not to mention truck w/plow looks sweet. Thx for your help!

19. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I second the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Great all around tire at a great price compared to Goodyear, Cooper, and BFG.

I run 285's on both my Dodges.

20. dozerdawg

dozerdawg Junior Member
    from md