1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05' Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 20" wheels

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ynot_5_0, Dec 4, 2005.

1. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a plow on my new truck. Just wondering what your thoughts on the right plow were. I'm looking at Blizzard, Western, and Curtis. Any ideas and thoughts on which would be best? Mostly for residential driveways and light commercial lots. I had a Blizzard on my 04' Ranger FX4 Level II. I liked that plow alot for driveways but didn't get much commercial stuff as my contractor buddy couldn't take a full size truck off the road for me to jump in. Any help is appreciated.

2. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

21 views and noone has any thoughts? Come on guys, I need help...I have the opportunity to get a Curtis, Western, or Blizzard. What would you guys purchase? I've already had a Blizzard and I was happy with it. I know Western is a good buy, but what about Curtis???

3. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

First off i am sure i am not the first one to tell you this, but the new style 1500 are not the best choice in plow truck. If you were happy with the Blizzard why not go with it? Someone else on here uses a Blizzard 760 lt on his 04 1500, says the truck carries that well. Don't know much about the curtis, and from what i hear, the western is over rated. I run a 7'6" Boss standard duty and love it. It mounts quick and easy, effortless. The weight is somewhere around 650 and there is no chain slapping when transporting. Anyways, if you loved the blizzard i would stick with it. Good luck.

4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I hat to sound like a broken record but do a search, this has been discussed in length already. You might think your situation is unique but really it isn't. This site gets a dozen requests, just like yours, daily.

Having said that, us2 is correct. No matter what plow you go with your truck is limited by weight. You're front end is going to sag without adjustments. Stick with a 7.5' or a light 8'. you'll need ballast in back. You might need different tires. All of this has been discussed in length already in several hundred posts.

5. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

Well today I ordered a 760LT Blizzard plow for my dodge. It will be installed a few days before Xmas. Now all I need is a couple good storms this season so I can at least make the money for the plow back. I will keep ya posted as to how my Ram handles this new blade.

6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

You did good. Don't forget some pics for us.:)

7. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

Well the dealer called me this morning after trying to order the plow for me. Turns out Blizzard is out of stock...Called around some more and I'll be getting a 7.5' Meyer. I'll post some pics when it's installed.

8. Check out my truck its the same as what your talking about.

9. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

I know that meyer is not the most popular choice but i have meyer 7.5 on 99 Doage 1500 sport . I have about 18 driveways and 4 commercial lots and it does well.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

NICE EQUIPMENT!!!! PUSHIN SNOW IN STYLE!:cool:

11. Thanks! I do look good in my new ride!:p

12. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Run What you want!!

:waving: Ynot 5, If the Blizzard is what you want then buy it! Don't settle for something you don't want because you'll never be happy with it! Myself I push with a 2001 1500 ram. Western Plow 7'6" I put Timbrens in the front end and put close to 300lbs behind the rear wheels for balast. I haven't had any problems. My 1st thought when I read your posting was your tires, Your running 20" tires for plowing? Are they on low profile rims? If so take your truck to a puff daddy concert so you can get the right wheels. Tall and skinny, Are you going for a show plow or do you want to actually plow snow? I run 265 75R-16 on the stock wheels. I dont' mean to sound like a pinhead but, I learned through the school of hard knocks and it costs tons of money!!! I've learned alot from this website and before you spend and more research it a little and find what you want and what you need!
    Good luck,
    PaleRider :gunsfiring:

13. labinsky

labinsky Junior Member
    from Canada

I plow with the 20's on my truck and I plow all commercial. I plow 5 schools and a large commercial parking lot and they are much better than you would expect. The goodyears that come on it actually clean themselves out really well. My two buddies bought new king ranch F350's and the first time we got 8 inches of snow back in december, they're trucks couldn't go anywher, and I was plowing circles around them.
    You will be suprised how good they are in the snow, I was shocked!

PS, you can't put 16's on it, you can only go as small as 17
    [​IMG]

14. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

That is my exact truck....Just put the plow on for the first time since I bought it.....Calling for 6-12 in central jersey...Did u do anything to the front end and how much balast do you use?

15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have timbrens and 360lbs ballast in mine.

DSC00084.JPG

16. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

Well just got done cranking the torsion bars and picking up bags for balast. I put 400lbs. against the bed....And I'm ready to go.

17. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Wow Labinsky that truck is AWESOME, I love the new dodges with Fishers. Got any warning lights? And Is that a steel cutting edge on there? I figure that to be like 735 pounds on the front of that ram, holdin pretty well, NICE. Hey RidehardNY how about pictures of your truck at an angle from the side so we can see the whole sweet lookin black dodge? Anybody else with new ram 1500s with plows, lets see some pics!!:D

18. joderek

joderek Junior Member
    from ma.

Here is mine.

Ready for first plow.

19. joderek

joderek Junior Member
    from ma.

pics

here they are

20. labinsky

labinsky Junior Member
    from Canada

to answer your question WhyNot 50, I didn't do anything to the front end. I haven't even cranked up the torsion bars. As for ballast, I'm using 240lbs at the moment. 350lbs works best though.
    As for the fisher plow. I wouldn't suggest it. It is garbage. I almost bought a Blizzard and now I'm wishing I had of. I'm doing pretty heavy work and the fisher is now only on it's 3rd season and it is so twisted and bent, it's not even funny.

As for the cutting edge, yes its steel, and I just put a new one on this week, which is not visible in the photo.