1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 PSD plug location

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chris k, Sep 3, 2005.

1. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Alright I just got my new truck and can not fond the plug for the engine block heater. Help :help:

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

The plug is an option. Did you order it with the plug, or did it have the plug listed in the options? Some dealers will provide you with it, but some will charge anywhere from $10-$40 for it.

3. chriscasto22

chriscasto22 Junior Member

the block heater plug is tucked near the passenger side fog light. usually it is zip tied behind the bumper. had the same problem myself with my 05 f350 psd. most of fords psd's come with the block heater, optional on the xl models.

4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I didn't see it listed I just assumed that it came with the diesel package. I didn't order the truck it was on the lot. How hard is the starting going to be if there is no block heater?? I had a 97 7.3 powerstroke that you couldn't even think of starting without plugging the thing in.

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

99% chance the block heater is there, but you will have to go to the stealer and purchase the plug.

6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

My 01 started with no problems at -20F here in MN.
    The plug is under the bumper by the drivers side tow hook.

The block heater is standard equipment in some states, like MN.
    Call your dealer to find out if it is standard equipment where you are.

It may have been ripped out by the previous owner if he forgot to unplug it.
    I have seen a few trucks around here dragging severed extension cords under them going down the road.

I always hang the extension cord over the drivers side mirror on mine when I plug mine in.

7. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

The new 6.0L is different you don't haft to plug it in it will start below -20F but i still plug it in at about -2F and i have let it out in -10F so i would not be worried about it but if you need it then plug it in.

8. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

On the 05s, the cord only comes when the truck is delivered to certain states. The heater is on all of them. My truck didn't have the cord. You can buy the cord from International and save a few bucks. It's the same cord without the shield etc.

9. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No you don't need to plug it in, but it sure warms up a lot faster and is much easier on the engine. Still ticks me off that Ford made it an option, especially when my idiot sales rep didn't tell me about it and then I had to add it later. Now my new one will have to have it added.

BTW, they stopped installing them as standard equipment because all the grocery getters that are buying diesels didnt know they were there and didn't know what to use them for.

11. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Do ALL diesels have the plug? I just bought a 99 F-450 PSD and havent seen it!

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, yours should have it. It is probably behind the bumper in the same spot everyone has mentioned. If you can't find it, check your manual or try to follow the wire from the heater to the front of the truck. On my truck, the heater is right above the oil filter. Sort of strange place, but that is where it is. Try to find it and follow the wire. Could be it was never used, or got broken off.