1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 HD wont start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Plowfast9957, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Hey guys i Have been to the dealer 3 times for this problem and they cant seem to get it right so hopefully someone here will have an idea. I bought it new and it now has about 15k on it. When I shut it off and try to restart it the lights come on and everyhing but will not start. no solenoid click nothing. I have to let it sit for like 5 minutes to restart it. Does not do it all the time and is very frustrating. Thanks for any input.

2. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

3. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Bill,

What motor/trans combo do you have?

Jason

4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

its the 6.0 with the 4 speed auto. thank you for the link i will do some research on that also.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  5. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Sounds like maybe the neutral safety switch. I would post this at the dieselplace.com There are a bunch of good techs on that site that might be able to help you diagnose the problem.

Jason

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If it's the neutral switch - put the vehicle in neutral and rock it a foot. Try starting it again. No click at the solenoid maybe a bad cable or ground. I had a starter cable rot out right at the starter. It turned out the two different metals cause major oxidation. Visually it looked fine. This happened around the same mileage.

7. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I had this happen once. I got under and banged the starter a couple times with a metal bar and it started right up. Hasn't happened again. Good luck

8. RED_RIDERTB

RED_RIDERTB Junior Member

Mine did the same thing. I had it towed to my dealer. They replaced the starter and it has been fine ever since.

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

First step is to go back to the dealer, tell to fix it. Talk to someone higher up the food chain. If that dont work call the number for GM in your manual. If that dont work try another dealer and such. Your having a problem with a dealership right not not really your truck.