1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 GMC with Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJs Lawncare, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Has anybody had any issues with their duramax trucks. A month and a half ago i had to have the fuel water separater sensor replaced because it was leaking. 2 weeks after that my truck lost power. I had a P2146 and I believe P0202 codes come up. Brought that to the dealer and they repaired a wiring harness for one of the injectors. Now my truck wouldn't start the other day when it was cold out. When it got warm it started and ran fine. Scanned the computer and got P2149 and I believe P0207. Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong this time. Although they told me the codes were in the history. Anybody have any ideas on this. The truck doesn't even have 60,000 miles on it.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You have the LLY version of the Dmax.They are prone to a chafing of some critical wires off the computer that controls injection.I don't remember the exact name of that loom but it happened to myself and many others.Basically you're running on 4 cylinders with no power/limp mode.A good dealer[sounds like yours doesn't maybe get that designation] will fix this easily all on warranty.The water separator issue most likely happened due to over-tightening the bowl and distorting it and/or a bad O ring. Don't worry-you have a great engine there.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Have you changed the the fuel filter latley?

4. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Tuney, the water separater had never been touched until it leaked, then the fuel filter was replaced at the same time. The dealer fixed the chaffed wires on the one side, but said the wires weren't chaffed on the other side and said they couldn't find a problem on the other side. The check engine light had gone off and the engine has been running fine since right before I brought it to the dealer for the other side? My dealer isn't really a diesel sho. They told me to bring it to a shop that has more expertise in working with the diesels.

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The LLYs have a wire loom that runs right along the bracket for the alternator. That loom will rub on the bracket and rub through some of the wires. Take a piece of heater hose or something like that and wrap it around the wire loom and then re zip tie it back in place.

The #2 and #7 injector connectors are prone to the wires coming loose. That's why you get the feeling that the truck is missing. Go to dieselplace.com and do a search for "Ice Pic fix" It's a fix that has worked for many members on there for a long time. This thread here is a very good how to fix with pics included.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142114&highlight=#2+and+#7+injectors

For future reference here is the Diagnostic Trouble Codes search
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/dtc.php

All of your DTC's come back to injectors. The P0202 and P0207 are for the #2 and 7 injectors.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

How much is it for a new fuel water separator?