1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Gmc duramax streering wheel noise

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hdelectraglide, Sep 3, 2009.

1. hdelectraglide

hdelectraglide Member

I have a 05 GMC 2500HD the steering wheel is making a bump type noise going over small bumps and turning? I found a similar thread in the history which said it could be a lower steering shaft. Is their any way to tell? and how hard to replace? Trying to stay out of the dealer ship THANKS!!!!!

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Yup, it's almost definitely your intermediate shaft.

Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

• The lower steering column bearing may create the same noise as the intermediate shaft. Before replacing the I-shaft, verify the noise isn't being caused by movement from the lower steering column bearing. Check the bearing for movement by pushing up and down on the I-shaft where it attaches to the steering column.

• Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).

• Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

The job pays .3hrs warranty time and isn't hard at all.

3. hdelectraglide

hdelectraglide Member

THANKS for your reply.Hopefully i can solve this problem on my own with no dealership THANKS AGAIN

4. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

I am dealing with the same issues please let me know what you find. If you end up taking pictures of your project, it would be of great help to post them. It seems like this is a common problem and it would be nice to see some pics, so everybody can refer to them. If I can figure it out I will do the same. :confused:

5. hdelectraglide

hdelectraglide Member

I am planning on working on the truck this weekend. So i should have a better idea whats going on with my truck. That sounds and feels like its going to fall apart.I would think their would be a recall!!!!!!!

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

You might be able to get the dealership to do it if you have any relationship with them and don't have too many miles on your truck. I've OK'd them on trucks with over 100k.

I'll bet that you could find a writeup with pictures with a little googling. Good luck.

7. hdelectraglide

hdelectraglide Member

I only have 40,000 miles on my truck and i have 3 more trucks doing the same all under 70,000 miles

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Hmm, don't have any connections out that way, but you should be able to bring it and and have it done if you have any relationship with the dealer.

9. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your front end? If so, how hard was it to fix?:nod:

10. hdelectraglide

hdelectraglide Member

I tried what affekonig said to do their is a ton of stuff to remove under the hood and kick plate on the inside of truck.Im going to check with the dealership on cost for them to repair.