1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 gmc 2500hd 6.6 duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EquityGreen, Oct 8, 2011.

1. EquityGreen

EquityGreen Member

I want to get a heavier plow for my truck. Looking at a western of some sort. I just would like to know what others have done to prep their trucks to carry the extra weight. FYI my front axle is the 4800 lb one. Thanks in advance.

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

4 turns on the bars & Timbrens.......

3. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

See my sig for some of my additions. Timbrens are a must. If you crank on the bars, you will likely either need shock extenders or longer shocks. I replaced my keys with a different set that allowed me to crank the bars a little further. No ill effects to date, 70k miles with the different keys. Usually have about 800 lbs. ballast, sand bags.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My truck is a diesel and I throw almost 800 pounds behind the rear axle. No timbrens or air bags. Does just fine, so don't forget some good ballast.

5. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i run the firestone airshocks on my duramax and they are totally kicka**. i have a 8'2" VXT and my truck doesnt squad an inch. i also run a cognito upper control arm kit, tie rod sleeves and heavy duty steering idler box. it was a small fortune up front but knock on wood, the truck should be good for a while.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Those tie rod sleeves are a beautiful thing for a plow or hunting truck.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I ran those for a year and got tired of the bags leaking. My buddie too.....same thing. I loved the idea of them, but it got old having to keep them full. I still have em on the shelf actually.

8. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I was have the same problem and firestone warrentied them and i got an onboard air conpressor so if they do leak i can fill them as easy as flipping a switch.

9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here no problem with anything I put on it.

10. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

or a truck that has a little gitty up with a tuner.

11. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

Especially when you're in 4wd ;)

12. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Ya, that too.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ya, but spending another couple hundred on a compressor to for a $4-500 set of shocks just b/c there's a chance "if they leak" is rediculous if you ask me.

Anyone interested in mine, they're like new, they leaked slowly, and a replacement set was offered to me and I just never sent them back. $150 takes them

14. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

do you guys recommend timbrens if you have the snow plow prep package? what does that option include besides the light switch? different torsion bars, OEM "timbrens"?

15. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Get them replaced and then I'll buy them from ya :D.

16. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I have the front airbags as well. Over a year now and not one leak EVER.... Dont know how i did it without them

17. quicknova

quicknova Member

Wow really? This is the first negative feedback I've seen on the air shocks, I just put them on a few weeks ago. I only run 10-20lbs of air normal driving like most people said and put the plow on once just to see how they work, hope I don't have the same problem now, will see this winter..

18. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Strongly recommend tie rod sleeves, i know in some situations i would have kinked the steering linkage without them. My truck has had the T-Bars cranked 5 turns since new, it is now 8 turns but i have not put the plow on yet to see how it sits. I always either have the sander in the bed for ballast or i have a 2k lb block of concrete for when i put the rear blade on.