1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F350 tranny cracked

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by First Responder, Feb 9, 2013.

1. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Any one have issues with the "snap ring" breaking loose and causing a hole in the transmission case? Found some info.... i guess common if being used to plow....i guess my question is.... has it happened to you and is there a way make sure it doesn't happen again. Very expensive reapair....at least the truck finished its route.....any help suggestions

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Happened to my dad on his 05 f250. He bought it in October of 10, and his first storm out in December of 10 the same thing happened. Not sure how to prevent it, he had Ford put a tranny in it.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought Ford had a recall or TSB about that? Sorry to hear

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Ford bought my 05 ford back because of problems. They tried fixing it a few times no luck. The last time they finally put a new tranny in it but the plowing season was over so I didn't get to plow with it before ford bought it back.

My uncle also had an 05 he had problems they repalced his the first time and no problems out of his for the next 5 or 6 years he had it.

5. First Responder

from 48015

I did some looking online and there is a recall. I am going to call on monday and see what they say. I bought it used 2 yrs ago. Currently its at repair shop getting a new trans. Not sure if Ford will do anything regarding any recall work that is not done at a dealership, but at least it will be done on Friday. I am just wondering if this is going to be an issue once the new trans is in. Can't keep replacing it every snow season!!!!!

6. First Responder

from 48015

Thanks for the input. I will keep everyone posted on what Ford says!!! Hopefully just saltings this week....looks like the old bucket and cup method.... got spoiled with a spreader. After Friday it can snow all it wants!!!!

7. ctuna

ctuna Junior Member

It happend to Me last year ,from what i read it was an 05 only problem.I put a trans from an 07 in it.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm not sure which years had more of an issue. My '03 had 56k miles on it when I bought it & had to do the tranny shortly there after. The repair shop told me then...if I had damaged the case, the repair would have been another $900.

9. First Responder

from 48015

Ford only covered the recall/tsb if it had the snow plow prep or snow plow package. Which i did not.