1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 f350 supercab 6.0L diesel would you buy

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselfreak, Jun 1, 2011.

1. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

i am working on a deal for a f350 diesel 05 with the 6.0l its has 49k miles on it and runs perfect. It also has a western v plow on it only 2 years old never commercially used only for a a few driveways and a gas station. it needs a door lock actuator for the passanger door, the radio does not work and the back doors are hard to open just need so lube and it also needs tires in about a year and its starting to peal some pain not much at all just a tiny bit on the drivers door by the mirror. The guy wants 22,900 is that a good price for it or pass i offered him 20,500 but he did not take it what is your guys expert opinion on this and what price do you think i should offer him to get this truck because obv i dont want to pay him 22,900 for something that needs some work. thanks
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would get an oasis report on it and take it to a dealer and have them check all the possible major issues with that engine. EGR valve, head gaskets, etc. Low mileage is nice and with a plow. truck prices new and used are ridiculous.
  3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Ive got a bunch of E 450 buses here at work with the 6.0. Two 05's, two 08's and two 09's. Sorry to say but the only ones we've had issues with are the 05's. Driver parked it after a route running perfect. Next driver came out two hours later and no start. Heck the engine was still warm. Luckily it was still under warranty at the time, barely. Had around 96k on it. Anyway, i had it towed out of the garage to the dealer, who spent a week and a half on it finding the leak in the high pressure oil system. Our other 05 currently is pulled in the work bay in need of an egr vavle with 170k on it. Like oldmankent said, head gaskets are an issue too, but the majority ive seen have been caused by a programmer. Other than that though theyve been pretty good engines for us. I like them ALOT more than the 6.8s. But the 7.3's are the best by far. All i have to do with them is keep them serviced. Ive got a couple of them at 200k+ and the last two we got rid of had around 300K on them. Zero issues. Sorry for the ramble, hope this helps!
  4. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

+1 for the oasis and get a scanguage from autozone to monitor eot and ect to see if they are within 15* (if not oil cooler is probably clogged). my 04 i baught 2 years ago for 18.5 with the plow and 45k so i wouldnt pay that for an 05