1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F350 coils

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mds, Dec 16, 2009.

1. mds

mds Junior Member

Hi. I have an 05 F350 w/ 4400lb. front coil springs and 9ft. pro-plus plow. I would like to gain approx. 2- 3in. height and hold plow up. 6000,6500,or 7000lb. springs? Have Ford part # for 6000lb. but not for 6500 or 7000lb.springs. Eng. is 5.4L. Can I do this w/ springs only?

2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

the stiffer springs will raise your truck a little but not sure if itll get you that much more. maybe someone else that has changed theirs can chime in. if you want though, i have a set of 6500lb springs in my garage i dont need. let me know if youd be interested in them. lookin to get rid of em. was gonna swap onto my truck but the stop 5200lb ones i have hold my 8ft plow very well.

3. I also have the 5200lb fronts. Handles a 8'6" Western MVP+ no problem. I believe 5600 is the heaviest stock FGAWR

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Ever thought of buying Spacers?

5. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

5CZ-5310-BA 6500#

5CZ-5310-AA 7000#

Just my .02¢

6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I did a write up on this a while back,,do a search for it. if you cant find i'll help you out.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Why not just put air bags in it. I dont know what the cost difference is but just a thought. I have a prototype back drag edge on my 06 F250 (5200lb front springs) and with the 8'6" Fisher V blade and the back drag edges on it scraps quite a bit over bumps, dips etc. so I was debating either bigger springs or just put the air bags in. If you go all out and get the 6500lb springs, do you have to change shocks or are all the springs the same height?

8. metallihockey88

Should be a direct swap. Takes a few hours at most. Few of my buddies did it to their trucks and said its real easy to do

9. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

There are no issues with the shocks.

90 minutes max.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

What r u asking for the springs and are they new?

11. metallihockey88

id be happy with 100 shipped. i paid way to much for them in the begining so just wanna get rid of em. i was told they are new, they have a few scrapes and scratches here and there but looks like its from be shuffled around a garage. know theyve been moved a few times in my garage. let me know if your interested, could get em out tommorow if you wanted. got a lot of free time these days since my truck got wrecked :gunsfiring:

12. Deco

Deco Senior Member

try a leveling kit first before the HD springs . i did and it's fine. i swing a 9'2" VXT with no nosedive like the notorious chevy front ends :nod:

13. mds

mds Junior Member

thanks everone! ordered new 6500lb. springs. will post results

14. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Overkill - your truck will not ride very well without the plow. Should get the 6000# with 1" spacer and you will be happy. I tried the 6500# and threw them out and got the 6000# The truk bounced all over the place with the stiffer springs. I have a 9'2" vee and it sits real nice w/without the plow.

15. mds

mds Junior Member

Done Deal! Installed new 6500lb. coil springs Ford part #5C3Z-5310-BA -pd. 77.00 ea. Raised front 2.25 in. Front drops 1.5in. with plow raised and still have 1.25in. clearance between bumpstop and axle-used to ride on bumpstop with plow raised. Truck sits nice now with and without plow. Ride is rougher but not to bad for a work truck. Very happy! Thank you all for your help! 05 F350 DRW 5.4L. 9ft.dump box 9ft. Western Ultra-Mount Pro-Plus with Wings and hinged Backdrag. Truck origanally had 4400lb. springs.

16. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Darn... I got 5200lbs springs, smallest on my F250 crew diesel, with Air bag and 800lbs on nose, and just barely get a 1/2" drop, takes less then a minute to change ride comfort, when not mounted...