1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F350 Busted Trans housing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fisher05f350, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Fisher05f350

Fisher05f350 Junior Member

anyone ever have it happen? I have a crack in the case on the t-case side down by the pan bolts by a casting line. It is a 05 with 647xx miles, and it is leaking like a stuck pig. Does not sound like I have foot to stand on with ford. What am I looking at $$ wise in repair not counting the lost $ in pushing snow...

2. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I gernaded a trans bell housing last winter. Cracked like an egg from the top around the side to the starter.

My trusted trans guy says that happens with a drive shaft being out of balance.

After a trip to the drive line shop confirmed a bad drive shaft.

Four grand later its all good!:cry:

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that...I just had my trans rebuilt a few days ago on my 03 F350. The trans shop told me, had I damaged the case, it would have been another 1k.

Good luck w/ that, hope it works out for ya!!

4. Fisher05f350

Front or back drive shaft? Also this is at the pan on the t-case end so I just don't get it :dizzy:

How much was you at getting the case replaced? And were they able to reuse the guts? And just replace the housing? This is not the bell this is the whole deal?

5. Fisher05f350

I don't get it.... I hope they can use the guts and just replace the case. It has been almost a week since my last push and I don't think there is any way I would have broke a tranny pushing snow? I'd bend frames and crap before the tranny.... no???

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I couldn't believe mine went, 23 years of heavy commercial plowing and it was only the second one that I've had to replace...on a truck that I drive.

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

First what trans do you have? You never said if it was an auto or manual.
    If it is an automatic call BTS and you will never regret it. Also you do not want to just reuse the "guts" because small metal pieces are in the case and will ruin other parts. Same with the trans cooer, replace it.
    http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

8. Fisher05f350

It is the auto.. Where is BTS compared to KC MO/KC KS?

9. Fisher05f350

I see they are in N.C. AR in the general area what would I be looking at for a auto trans for a 05? I'd even take the truck down and have it rebuilt/replaced if the ##'s were right.

10. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

BTS's are expensive but they are known in the performance diesel world to be "unbreakable" I havent run one personaly

11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Fisher I run a BTS, it is about 8 or 9 years old. I bought it used with about 4 years of use on it. It still shifts fantastic, I use my truck for everything such as hauling stuff, diesel drag racing, truck pull competition, snow powing, daily driver. It is by far the best trans I have used. My truck has a 4r100, your truck has a 5r110 so I can only guess that it will be over $4000. Do a google search on them I am sure you will find a lot on info on his trannies. Give him a phone call in the early AM and he will talk to you and get you a quote. Don't try to call in the middle of the day or e-mail, he is just too busy.Two other trans shops I would recomend are Suncoast in FL., and John Wood Automotive in SoCal.
    IIRC Brian is a KS native.

12. Fisher05f350

I have it lined up to go to the trans shop this afternoon I may give Brian a call tomorrow morning and see what he has to say as I am waiting for word back from the shop. If we have to pull it and look at replace or rebuild I will make the decision then.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

First off, find out what caused the housing to crack. Did the snap ring let loose? If so, you may be able to get at least parts from Ford. This was a major problem back in '04\early '05
    and this is where Ford lost a lot of their reputation because they screwed it up so bad. The planetary retaining pins were bad at the same time, but the snap ring working loose caused cracked cases. I had 2 on one truck before I had an aftermarket shop rebuild it.

Beat me to it.

14. Fisher05f350

on the back end??? I could see all of the above with the front being broken but on the t-case side? We changed the pan gasket and filter lastnight and did not have any metal or chuncks? The other concer is do I drive shaft out of balance??? It is at the trans shop and we will see what they have to say tomorrow?

15. Mark Oomkes

I don't know where it was cracked, didn't ever look at them, just trying to help.

16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I thought the snap ring that broke held the parking paw, also heard the planetary issues.

Not sure on this tranny but C$ and 6's the parking paw is behind clutch packs and such, the rear of the tranny main case.

17. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The snap ring failures in the 5r110 were retaining rings in the planetary gearsets.

18. Fisher05f350

Would that create a crack/hole on the passenger side t-case end of the trans? Guess there is a hole/crack/brake above the pan on the passenger side right at the transfer case connection that has let the fluid leak all over gods green earth....:mad:

19. Mark Oomkes

Wrong

There were 2 issues with the 5R110. One was the retaining rings for the planetary gearsets, the other was the snap ring in the back, something to do with the reverse gear.

I know this for fact, had both done on 2 of my 3 5R110's. The snap ring causes the tranny to grenade, the planetary issue just causes reverse to go. The last I had go at 500 miles on one.

20. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Really Mark??? Your own quote is almost an exact repeat of what I wrote. Snap ring, retaining ring just grammatical semantics. Would you actually address someone face to face by starting with the word "Wrong"? Come on people really sound dumb starting out saying something like that, and I know you are no dummy. Besides I never said it was the only issue with that trans, I was merely clarifying that it is not an issue with the parking pawl like was suggested above.