1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F350 6.0L problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

First off lets not start a ford vs chevy etc. debate. The problem started this morning just after the last salting. When I stepped on the gas down the hi way the truck's limit was 50ish mph and no more. Last year we replaced the fuel pump and that was checked this morning and had plenty of pressure. The mechanic thinks its injectors but there is no bucking or jerking as if it was missing. Simply if I floor it the rpm's stop at 2000-2300 and goes around 50 mph. He removed the exhaust from the cat. and it seemed to run ok but still lacked a bit of power. It rarely blows any smoke both white or the blueish tinted smoke, its always plugged in overnight. Any ideas?

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

:nod:
    FICM issue . same thing on mine last year . check for 48 volts . was told i need fresh batteries every other year if im going to run a plow & electric spreader .

the ficm needs full 48 volts or . . . . . wallah :nod:. goodluck Bri

3. Brian Young

Your saying the FICM caused yours to be sluggish and top off at low rpm's and 50ish mph.?

4. Spool it up

5. Spool it up

i also thought it was injectors . i cant stress enough on the necessity of fresh batteries on the 6.0's. I have 3 . 1 '05 & 2 '06's. as you know they're high maint , but well worth it .

6. Brian Young

Thanks, I will check it out and pass it on to the mechanic whos a friend too.

7. Brian Young

I just dont see how batteries would effect the engine's ability to create rpm's when running. These are older batteries but start it just fine.

8. Spool it up

good luck . i believe its a good lead for you . sounds the same .

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

They DO. Those FICM are sensitive to batteries voltage. Keep clean batteries terminal of corrosion.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Mine did same thing and Someone told me same thing I put new batteries in and still had same problem
    What mine was Turbo lock up

Not saying this your problem but mine acted just like you said your truck was doing

11. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

My duramax once did this and it was just a clogged fuel filter. It might be something to replace to rule it out.

12. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

do u have any CEL codes at all?? Hvae U checked ur FICM voltage, engine off voltage, start up voltage, engine idle voltage???

13. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Hey snowzilla, In my driving experience, my work truck blew a lot of smoke when the filters were clogged. 2 weeks ago, I was driving on the highway and in the LED display (2008 F450), came up " reduced power" with a wrench sign. I could only get up to 50 mph. The mechanic at work changed the filters and reset the code. worked fine for a week. This time he had told me it had something to do with the turbo and its at the dealer now under warranty.
    I knew it wasn't the filters because the motor still ran smooth, just no power. good luck

14. Brian Young

No codes were ever set, no rough running conditions, it starts right up even after sitting all day not plugged in. It does surge, like it wants to shift but doesn't until a bit higher than normal rpms. Once it warms up the problem went away until this am. The truck had been running all night when this happen. I havent changed the air filter since we've owned it (3 years) but every time I have the dealer do the oil change they say its all ok. Would lack of air flow make it do this? Also, I was going to change both fuel filters very soon when the next oil change came up, the ones in there now have been in there just under a year and about 8-10k miles on them. I was told by a heavy equipment dealer's service manager (who is a friend so I doubt he would bs me) that you should be changing fuel filters twice a year with normal driving.

15. Spool it up

fuel filters (2) should be changed every 10k .
    the air filter definitely needs changing . I have the cai mods with extra reusable/cleanable filters which knock maint $$ down ,

16. Brian Young

I was going to do that tomorrow, they need done any ways. I just wish this wasn't such a random thing.

17. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Did U happen 2 get fuel from somewhere NEW, as in somewhere U havent filled up in the past??
    I cant seem to put my finger on the reason ur truck is limiting U to 50ish MPH...??
    Im wondering if ur experiencing a minor misfire somewhere and that mayb b putting truck in (limp mode) yet its not severe enough 2 chuck any code yet?? Deff give us an update 2mar!!!

18. damian

damian Senior Member

you cant repair this engine without a good scan tool to give you good data and all the diag tests : key on and engine running tests. determining ficm problems is a 1 minute job with a good scan tool. blocked exh back pressure sensor causing vgt to close up is a 1 minute look, stuck vgt vanes is a 2 minute test.icp performance needs to be looked at. not all problems are quick to get to the bottom of but many are. my guess is the vgt\ebp system is at fault the vanes are stuck or being falsely commanded closed. but you really need to get plugged in.

19. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I just found this guys card while cleaning the office the other day. He rebuilt my FICM about 18 months ago. He claims to have identified some weak links in the unit & improves them...anyhow, he saved me a lot of money & runs his repair ads on ebay (where I found him). His turn around time was lightning fast & so far so good on the rebuild. Just thought I'd pass it along:

Forgot to mention...Somewhere in his ebay ad he mentions a simple way to self test the unit.

CFM Repair on Truck #2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  20. Spool it up

it's called FICM strategy . you can manipulate ,delete and restucture the fuel supply along with a tuner by way of the OBD port . highly recommended
    although , I personally wouldnt use the "speedo guy"
    http://innovativediesel.com/p-1550-idp-custom-tuning.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013