1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F350 6.0l over heating

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fisher05f350, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Fisher05f350

Fisher05f350 Junior Member

With the plow on on the hi-ways temp gauge max's out. First time I was able to adjust plow and bring temp back in check but that was just when I hooked up to go wash plow and truck off. Last time was after 12+ hrs of plowing and was not able to bring back in with adjustment of plow, kicked on the ac and the temp came back down? I don't have any problems in the lots or on the side streets just at hi-way speed.

Do I need to add a fan? One thought was snow/ice pack in radiator...
  2. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

The plow is covering the amount of air getting to the front of the truck, wich is making it run hot. Samething happened to me I had to drop the plow closer to the ground and angle it a little. Just watch what you run over if you drop the plow a little, as it's easier to bottom out.
  3. Fisher05f350

Thanks for the input, I did try that and no help.. That is some of what has be to thinking maybe I had gotten snowpack in the radiator..??
  4. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

on my 7.3 i run my 9 ft blade straight on the road and all the way up and i don't have any over heating problems. its the same temp as if i didn't have the plow on. my EGT is however about 50 deg. F hotter, but thats no big deal to me.
  5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

one truck i used to plow with had a c plow and it would overheat unless i tilted the plow forward so the plow was not blocking the radiator
  6. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

ive got an 05 350 with a boss v plow and never had any probs. My egt goes up but thats because i run a programer my guess is you had snow packed in the radiator.
  7. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Snow pack, low coolant, bad fan clutch maybe.

My 04 6.0 never gets hot, even in the summer when I move my plow to storage I have never seen any abnormal temps.
    I actually remember using my air conditioning on one trip. (because it was hot outside)

Do you have a deflector on top of the blade?
    Some of them at high speeds stand straight up and block flow to the radiator.

By the way I have a 8.5' Western V on mine.

Good luck
  8. chrisd

chrisd Member
    from buffalo

i had the same problem with my 05 f- 350. believe it or not it was the temp guage. doesn't make sense, but the the dealer said there was tsb on it. they swithched mine and it is fine.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Was it actually overheating? As in the coolant boiling? As stated above, there is a TSB out for bad gauges. If it happens again, attempt to check if it is actually overheating.

Do you have the plow prep package? If not, you will need a new clutch and fan that kicks on sooner. I had to do this with my personal truck that I bought off the lot with no plow prep.

And it could have been something as easy as snow packed in the radiator. Was there a lot there when you went to the car wash? Our air filter light came on once last year after plowing a bunch of powder.

Finally, invest in a set of aftermarket gauges. The OEM gauges are glorified idiot lights that do not give you a true measure of what is going on with your truck. I can drive for 5 miles and my OEM tranny gauge shows 'Normal' and my aftermarket hasn't even come off the bottom peg yet. The water\coolant gauge moves quite a bit compared to the OEM. I can now tell you when my fan is going to kick in while the OEM gauge for the most part doesn't move until too late.
  10. Fisher05f350

It was not actually boiling over just the factory gauge peged and the command center in the dash said truck was over heating. I'll call the dealership and check if my truck has a tsb out on it for the gauges and I don't think it has the plow prep package so I'll check into a fan and fan clutch.

I didn't check snow pack this time, the first time I know there was not as everything had melted and the truck and plow had been in the garage for about 1 week but was able to correct with plow adjustment. Still not sure why kicking on the ac cooled the truck down? Usually it is the other way if the car is overheating kick on the heat?

Thanks all for the input.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Temperature Gauge Reads Hot, 05 F-Series:
    Some trucks built before 12-10-04 may have a temp gauge reading at the top of the green normal band or into the red hot band, with normal coolant temperatures. If no overheat condition is present, the instrument cluster should be replaced. If there is a code in the engine computer for ECT over 240 degrees, or if coolant is being expelled from the degas bottle, do not replace the cluster. Diagnose the overheat condition.
    TSB 05-1-2

Here's the TSB. Most dealers have no clue unless you bring it in and show them.

With regards to the plow prep, I couldn' t even get mine down the road a couple miles without overheating and it wouldn't cool down until I stopped and let it cool off.

Sounds like the gauge issue to me.
  12. Fisher05f350

Called the dealership and they say no recall, but then again this is the same dealer that said the turbo was fine when I had the flutter problem(think it is going out again also not even 40k on the ticker). I'll call the place that actually fixed the turbo and see if they can pull my vin and see if the tsb applies to my truck, can't remember the build date but do think it is prior to 12/04. Thanks for the help...

They did say bigger fan and clutch would run me about $300