1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'05 F250 & Western V

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kirkmue, Dec 22, 2009.

1. kirkmue

kirkmue Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for all help in advance.

I have an '05 F250 regular cab and a Uni Western 8' V. I have 2 questions:

1. The headlights and overall system (heat/internal lights, etc) flicker when I move the plow. Is this normal or do I need to have it looked at?

2. The plow and frame (with conversion kit from ultra mount to uni mount) weigh about 1100 lbs. Is this too much weight for my truck (axles, etc)? I will be putting about 1000 lbs of salt in the bed when I plow to off set the weight...based on advice from a plow guy and mechanic. I just want to double check - does this sound right?

Thanks again.

2. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Weight Is A Relative Term Is it Not !!!!!!

I am Sure I Any One Of Us Were Honest. We Would Have No Choice But To Admit We Overload Our Trucks On a Regular Basis. Most Of The Damage That This Causes Is Felt in the Long Term. U-Joints, Ball Joints, Tie-rod Ends,Wheel Bearings,Brakes and so On.
    That's Why Every Truck Has A Weight Rating To limit What that total Package is Designed To Handle.Sure They Stay Together Overloaded, You just Got to Budget Repairs more Often.

I would Say The Most Dangerous Thing That Has To be Addressed Is Tires. Make Sure That You Spend The Money In That Area. LOAD Range D Or E Is Preferred. 6,8,10 Ply Rated are What You Need. Being That A F-250 is a 3/4 Ton Truck You are Overloaded For Sure :nod: Not By Alot But Over for Sure:nod:
    I Have Used and Swear By Timbrens, They Offer The Needed Supplemental Support,Are Just The Nicest Thing In the World To Install And Best Of All Wont Break the Bank To Purchase. So I say; Inspect You Whole Chassis,Verify or Buy High Quality WORKING TIRES, Install A Full Set Of Timbrens And Get Out There And Make Some $$$$
    As to The Electrical Issue Check all Your Connections And Clean If needed.Paying Carefull Attention to your Grounds. Have Your Charging System Checked And While There Do A Draw Test On The Plow Motor. It May Be Its Just Pulling TOO Much. Let Us Know How you Make Out.

Good Luck
    Acme

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

does your truck have plow prep if it does the front end is the same as a 350 also what motor do you have gas or diesel

4. kirkmue

kirkmue Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Acme - thank you, I will let you know how it turns out. I will have to take a closer look at the tires. The payload on the F250 is 2800...so wouldnt I be ok? Or is it too much on the front end specifically?

Fatheadon1 - it does have plow prep and it is gas - thank you.

5. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

6. kirkmue

kirkmue Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for the tip. The Timbrens looks like a good call, I'll probably go that way. Just the front or rears too? What is the approx cost for the ses kits?

I have a plow conversion kit, from ultra to the uni western...do you think a lift kit would be a good idea for a little more clearance when Im pulling in/out of driveways and parking lots? I know a lift kit isnt always a good idea when plowing. It has a typical Super Duty 250 lift, but nothing more (I think). Im not sure I'd know otherwise.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check your ground connections
    The truck is fine just the way it sits.