1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F250 Tranny question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplow12345, Jan 25, 2007.

1. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

When plowing snow I notice when i switch from Drive to Reverse quickly, even before forward momentem has not quite stopped the transmission seems like it is slipping and not quite catching in reverse immediatly. It also makes kind of a shuttering noise. While going into reverse. If I baby the truck, and make sure to come to a complete stop before going into reverse it seems fine. It doesnt seem as though the tranny is slipping, it just doesnt like being shifted into reverse quickly. Is this something with the torqueshift transmission that is normal, or does this sound like something i should have checked out. truck only has 19,000 miles. i have only driven chevys before this truck. just wondered if someone else experiences the same thing.

2. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

That is normal, I asked a ford engineer and he said it was to help the trans last longer.. no more fwd to rev to get it rocking when stuck .

3. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

If my memory serves me right, now that you mention it, I do recall being slightly stuck and trying to rock it back and forth with no luck, just the tranny shuttering. Thanks for letting me know. I always worry when I am not familiar with things such as this.

4. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

:nono: Not coming to a complete stop is a good way to blow a tranny.

I brought one of my 04's to the dealerr last year for the reverse shutter, and it ended up being a reverse band that was on its way out. once they replaced that it no longer does the shudder.

You definitally should wait the extra second or less to come to a stop before shifting.

think about the strain of all the truck momentum going foward, and then the shock of going to reverse before the foward momentum is stopped....

Im not sure if this is a "normal" occurance on the newer models, but i run a 06 550 and it does not shudder at all going from foward to reverse, but i definitally make sure i come to a stop before jamming it into reverse....

These newer trucks just have too much torque and power and will blow right thru that tranny if your not careful

5. PPP

PPP Member

I also have an 05 F-250. The delay is normal as others have mentioned, but if you do a search there was a TSB or Recall on the Torque-Shift transmission on the early production 05's in reference to going into reverse. A great web site to look it up on is www dot ford trucks dot com.
    Hope this helps.

6. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

heh, be careful. If you shift and hit the gas during that delay, your rpms will go up, the truck will eventually shift and jam it into gear.....definitally not good...

You will save money and aggrivation by just waiting the extra second :salute:

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Every PSD with the new transmissions I have driven has a delay of about 3 seconds before they engage into reverse. Now if there is a long delay that can mean the transmissions on it's way out. I have seen that on a few. It does take a while to die when this happens.