1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F250 Torque converter seal

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Fatality, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

Tonight plowing a lot we had transmission fluid pouring out of the front. I'm guess the seal broke. Can anybody chine in and verify? Any idea on how long the fix would take or if there is a quick fix to get by for a couple days?
  2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

if youre lucky it was the front seal on the transmission, which is what seals the converters hub. Unfortunately there is no quick fix, the transmission has to come out to access it
  3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

and if you ran it dry, the t/c bushing is now toast.
  4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

how weird... this just happend to me last thursday... i thought it was the front trans seal too. Brought it to the shop and it turned out the torque convertor shaft was so worn out it blew out the seal. I just got the truck back today. The bad news is that the seal very rarely just goes i was told... something has to cause it to go... whether the pump is acting up and running too much pressure or your torque converter wearing out, something more serious than the seal might be wrong. I have a different year and engine truck than you, but i have a ford and it takes a little time to pull the trans and transfer case out and replace the seal.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I just changed one out on a 1999 F250 and if it's the gray seal they seem to have a problem.

After it starts leaking one time when it get hot your done the tranny needs to come out.

Can be done in a bout 4 hours with the right tools.

Good luck
  6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I always had problems with the older C-6's with this. Torque converter bushing wear and over heating would make them poor ATF out the front. Shut it off and let it cool and it would be fine until hot again. Usually over revving when hot would blow them right out.