1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'05 F250 four wheel drive slipping

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ABsnow, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with four wheel drive "slipping" or disengaging when shifting between D and R or vice versa? Some times it stays engaged, sometimes it engages and then almost immediately drops out. Seems if I baby it, it stays engaged. Of course when I tried to manually lock the hubs, I couldn't get the damn things to turn.

Just looking for some possible causes. Thanks.

2. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

I should note, I did read through the other recent post on the four wheel drive. I did get some valuable information from that thread, even though our problems are slightly different. Will try to play with it tomorrow while it's 45 degrees out.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

electric 4 wheel drive?
    if so, it sounds like the shift motor has a loose connection or a vacuum leak to the front end.

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have a 2006 F350 and never feel any slipping between D and R; Stays nice and tight.

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It must be shift on the fly right? Is the 4x4 light going out or do you feel it slipping. If the light is staying on I would suggest you are losing vacuum and the hub(s) are unlocking. It is common if you don't move your hubs often they will seize up.