1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F250 Drive Shaft Broken

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jan 7, 2007.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Bought this 05 F250, 5.4L - loaded, FX4, plow prep, blah,blah,blah.... Used it last season to plow with twice. Heard a loud clunking noise under the drivers seat which was only present in 4 wheel drive. Sounded like a rock inside a tin can, but real loud. Figured I'd take it in during the off season since I had a growing list of warranty items to have fixed. So I brought it in, in August. Fixed most everything, but couldnt duplicate the clanking noise. OK I said. Maybe it was a rock or something who knows. Few weeks later I was at the landfill dropping off some things, figured this was a good place to try to the 4wheel drive and confirm nothing was wrong, since the ground was soft. Engaged, CLANK, CLANK,CLANK!!! Drove strait to the dealer and dropped it off.

Long story short, after 4 visits, and 2 brand new drive shafts, turns out supposedly the drive shaft that was on the truck originaly, and the one they replaced it with were for the diesel motor. Part numbers were the same or something like that. And that shaft is a fraction of an inch longer/shorter dont remember which, cuasing the loud noise. They had to call engineers at the plant and re-measure the shafts to confirm it.

They had my truck 4 times in 2 months for a nearly 4 weeks. Not sure I believe their story or not but thought I'd make it public in case for some reason anyone else has a similar issue. What a mess....

Atleast its fixed now, Just need some snow.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Believe it or not there are differences in shafts and transfer cases. I have run in to it a few times. Same transfer case model number same year but one came from an auto transmission and one from a manual. A 3/4 " difference in length.
  3. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

and with that difference in length you will bind up the universal joint causing the noise you described. good thread
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The slider joint in some trasfer cases / shafts may be dirty and hanging up.Could be dry u-joint too. This would cause binding as the axles move through their travel. Maybe a burr or a bit of stone trapped in the splines. Could be grease built up at the far end of the shaft limiting travel just enough.
    Remember the stuffs manufactured by the lowest bidder.