1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F250/Boss V-Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JD822, Aug 4, 2011.

1. JD822

JD822 Member

Hello. I am hoping some of you guys can give me an opinion on this set-up. I am looking at purchasing a 2005 F250 S.D. E.T. with a Boss 8.2 Poly-V/8' rear pull. The 6L has 71k on the odo. I have read about the issues the 6L has, but am wondering if anyone who has experience with this combination would recommend it for plowing or would recommend looking for a Dodge Cummins Or DMAX. I do prefer Ford trucks, but now I am leary of persuing this particular combination. I have previously owned a 93 K2500 with a Western. I am wondering what this combo is like to work with and if it is a good choice overall. Any suggestions on this combo would help me out immensely. thnx

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

A lot of the "issues" with the 6L were early production. Also, many of the issues were due to guys putting aftermarket chips, EGR delete kits and other mods then did nothing to the tranny or engine block to strengthen them so people were blowing out the head bolts, transmissions etc. We have an 05 6L with 83k on it and no problems at all so far. Sounds like a nice set up but you never know how the owner before you took care of it. Its a crap shoot when buying used vehicles especially plow trucks. I would take it to a Ford dealer and have them look over everything from fluids to ball joints, check for any recall's or TSB's, hook up all the plowing equipment and just look for general abuse.

3. doyles

doyles Member

i have an 04 f20 with the 6 liter it has about 88000 on it and i use a 8-6 fisher extrem v
    the truck is stock and the 1 problem i had was the injecion driver whent bad its an electrical part
    good luck

4. JD822

JD822 Member

Thank you guys for the info. After watching vids and reading about them on powerstrokehelp.com I am a bit hestitant on pulling the trigger on this rig. It has the equipment I want ( diesel, 8.2 Boss Power-V XT, 8ft. pull), and the price doesn't seem to bad for what it is. Although I will haggle a bit. I was just interested to find out what issues guys have had with these engines. I am planning in bringing it to my Ford dealer that serviced my old truck to make sure everything is on the up and up too. It appears to be well maintained, but we all know appearances can be deceiving. I definitely appreciate the insight. Thnx again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011