1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'05 f250 beefed up to 550...or more? help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fredhedd, Mar 26, 2005.

1. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

yesterday i bought an '05 f250. i was looking at getting a slightly bigger truck but i got a great deal on this one and a good friend of mine works at a spring shop so, he is going to beef up my suspension to accomodate my plowing equipment. i am new to plowing, but plowed all year this season. mainly supermarkets. i am buying a blizzard plow pre-season, this year. i am also looking at a large salter. it's the metal one, it may be stainless steel. i think sno way makes it. 8 ft. i also have a friend that deals with reading utility bodies. the pickup bed will be swapped for one sometime very soon. if my figures add up correctly:

appx. an additional
    500 lbs for the utility body
    900 - 1400 lbs for the plow, depending on the 810 or the 8611
    2200 lbs with the salter full
    500 lbs conservatively, if the toolboxes are left full, while plowing

i'm taking all advice here, guys.

right now the funds are here for the 8611, if i want it. it's a monster plow and i would like to have it. i could go either way. i don't want to get it if anything is innapropriate for my setup. my spring shop buddy assures me that he can do anything to the truck that i need done. i'm in no rush here and want to be sure i'm making the right decision. i will be doing mostly commercial lots, with the exception of all of my friends (who i'm finding out that i have more of now that i am going to own a plow, weird.) who are going to have their driveways plowed for free.

let me know what ya think. thnx in advance.

2. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

beefing up truck

There is more to making a 250 to a 550 than springs. There are differentials, frame and tires that allow the vehicle to carry more weight. Also the gearing is much different for a 550 than a 250. Bigger brakes also. Over load any truck you cant stop it as well.

I have an International and it has huge brakes. It will stop 26K lbs. Different transmission, rear end, springs, frame, drive shaft and the list goes on.

There is more to making a truck carry heavier weight than springs.

Dave

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Skyking has a good point. You also want to be sure that the modifications don't go so far as give Ford an opportunity to question your warranty.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The 8611 is too much plow for that truck. Like said before, the difference between a 350 and 550 is much more than just springs. I think all your truck really needs is the plow prep package, maybe timbrens up front, and you should have the heavy suspension package in the rear that would give you helper springs and sway bars both front and back. If the truck still doesn't hold the weight great, then I'd put some airbags on in the rear. That way you won't have a really stiff ride when you are not plowing.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

All you have to do is change the emblems from f 250 to f 550 and your done .

Listen to the above posts ..

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Ground controll to Major Tom............. :rolleyes:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Even if you did swap the axles, brakes, tires, springs, frame, etc, you would still according to the sticker in the door have an F250 with the GVW of an F250. Sooo as long as you don't overload an F250 with the above equipment, legally, you will be all set.

Your best option despite the 'great deal', if you want an 8611, utility box, spreader, buy a 550. You will spend the same amount turning a 250 into a 550. That's why Ford makes different size trucks. And you will be legal.

8. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

thnx for your help guys. i was under the impression that the only difference in the two was springs. the people at the dealer told me that, and a couple of other people who were not part of the deal. i tihnk they all believe it's just the springs that are different. this changes things a bit. i might be taking this truck back. thnx again.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds about right for a dealership\salesman. Not to mention the whole dual wheels thing in back.

10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

almost forgot

There was an accident locally. Woman pulled out in front of a gravel truck. Woman lost her life. The cops loaded the gravel back into the truck and then had it scaled to see if it was legal. What the truck is CERTIFIED for GVW is the legal weight limit of that truck. This creates a liability issue for you. Send out a truck with more load than the certified weight will allow and have an accident you have more legal problems.

Dad said anything connected with automotive is evil. That salesman is dumb like fox. He sold a unit that is all he is looking at.

We never send out an over loaded truck. We have to much to loose. I hope this has been all constructive. I meant it as that.

Dave

11. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

the 550 was just to give you an idea that i am trying to beef up the suspension to handle this plowing equipment. i just read that if i buy a 350 i am going to pay more money to register it. there is so much information on all of this and it's hard to know who to believe.

i just went outisde and counted the leaf springs on the 350 and 250. they are the same in the rear. the only difference is the spacer blocks. is this going to be a big difference when plowing? as i've said, i'm planning on having that 8ft sno way salter in the back. i can live without the 8611 plow. the utility body is going on though.

i'm thinking still of keeping this 250 and beefing up the suspension just to handle this equipment. i don't feel that this much weight would be considered overloading the vehicle. i think that this much weight would be fine w/out any suspension work. comments?

12. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

The 05 fords have a 6000lb front axle it will hold your plow no problem.[810 is as big as you can go on a single wheel truck]As far as a sander goes anything over a 6ft SS sander on that truck loaded you will be over # and just asking for a ticket.

13. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

My 03 f350 pickup with a 8ft fisher and a 6ft SS sander loaded with sand salt myself and fuel leaves the scale at about 12000lbs.My truck is rated for 9700lbs .Im 2300lbs over weight{i use that truck in one lot the hole storm,it is off the road}

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If your #'s are correct for the utility box and the salter full then you should be legal with a 810 Blizzard. I am guessing you bought a gas truck which makes the front end lighter. I would only put a 810 on though. That is plenty of plow and the extra foot for the extra 500lbs is not worth it. Where did you come up with 2200lbs for a loaded salter? That might be a little light especially if it is a gas steel model.

15. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

i dont want to get any tickets. i don't mind driving around w/ a beefier suspension and the 8 ft spreader. if i have to stick w/ a 6 ft spreader, i will. i just looked at the truck outside. my gvwr is 9000 lbs. my front end gawr is 5000 lbs. my rear gawr is 6000 lbs. i'm not sure what i'm looking at here. is my rear gawr the amount that i can have in the bed?

it's a gas truck. i came up with the 2200 loaded number being conservative. thnx for your patience. i'm new at this :)

16. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Gross vehicle weight rating is the total amount your truck can weigh. Yours is 9000lbs. That means that your truck can weigh 9000lbs .So too figure out what you can carry you have to deduct the weight of the truck, plus options (like 4 wheel drive) fuel and passengers. The remainder is what you can carry. The axle ratings are the max each axle can hold/carry. So in the rear you have to subtract the weight of the truck resting on the rear axle. And the same goes for the front. But if you max out the front (with a plow) and then the rear ( with a spreader) you will be over you gross vehicle rating. Bigger springs will help. But if you are that heavy you need to be able to stop that rig too. If you need a medium duty truck then thats what you should buy. If you are mildy over weight and you don't carry passengers. You will probably be ok. Be careful when overloading. There are things like bearings, and ball joints, and u joints, and brakes, and the list goes on,that are affected by the load.

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck does not have the plow prep package if the front GAWR is 5000 lbs. You might want to check with your dealer because if you put a plow on it it could void your warranty.

18. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

the dealer told me this truck has a plow prep package. the sticker says front gawr is 5200 and the rear is 6100. let me know if i should punch him in the nose.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The payload you can carry is approx. 3,000lbs. With a plow weighting between 700 and 1,000lbs you will have 2,000 to 2,300lbs left. The approx weight of a 8' salter is 700 lbs. This leaves about 1500lbs of salt you can carry. A 8' salter will hold almost 4,000lbs of salt. A yard of salt weights around 1 ton. You could add 1 or 2 extra springs and this would help, you could put a little more weight in the salter but you still have the same braking system. You will have to drive accordingly. Most SRW trucks with salters in them will be over the legal limit. If your calls are close to where you get your material and you are getting rid of some of it close to that location then not a big deal but if you have to drive a long way then maybe not a good ideal. It would also be hard on the truck to plow with the salter fully loaded but you would most likely not need 4 wheel drive. I run a 3500 Chev with a 9'6" Fisher V and while he is plowing the salter is only 3/4 full. This truck is not 4x4 and the GVWR is 11'400lbs.

20. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

thanks for all of the replies. you've all been very helpful. no matter if i get the f2 or 350, i think i will be adding springs to at least the back. do you really think that the braking system would pose any problem? i will be plowing for 30-40 hours straight, in the most extreme times. the salter will be as full as can safely be. am i thinking too much if i ask if this v8 motor will suffice, while i'm under max load (salter full or close to it, and the extra weight of my utility body), pushing 2-3 inches of snow at a time?

i've asked the dealer all of these questions but they tell you whatever they think will get the truck off of the lot, and then send you on your way.