1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F250 bed mount supports rusty HELP

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ScubaSteve728, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

05 F250 bed mount supports rusted out HELP

well i bought this truck kinda knowing there may be a aftermarket bed on it along with a macco paint job. however it is not very rusty elsewhere ie the frame and body panels are solid. just here in the front beam that lays on the frame closest to the cab they are rusting and it seems like the front of the bed is loose and shaking a wee bit. how can i fix this? do i need to pull the bed and replace all of them or what. i was thinking of having some angle iron welded to it or sliding a piece of 2 inch square tubing in as far as it would go on either side to beef it up. the other beams are not too bad and will last long enough for me just this front one passenger and driver side are pretty bad cracked and very soft and flakey.

rusty 1.jpg

rusty 2.jpg

rusty 3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. ScubaSteve728

somebody help me please storms a coming i shoud be okay for the storm but i want to fix it for the spring

3. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

my 08 f350 had this starting, all my fords have done it. I would always keep a coat of paint on them, wish there was a way to prevent it!

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

pull off the bed and make new ones weld them in or have someone bend some up for u

5. ScubaSteve728

is it hard to pull the bed off?

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

4 bolts and the filler tube and lights. That's about it. Spray the bed bolts real good with penetrating oil, they're usually a little stiff.

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

After fixing it keep the truck oil'd. Will soak into the rust and prevent it from happening again.

8. ScubaSteve728

Yes i plan on getting it fluid filmed in the spring and fall

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

The bolts are a special bit. You can use a very high quality torx bit, but do not be surprised if it is locked up. Personally the first time I did it I found it easier to go on ebay and get a take off set for like $50. The bolts are self tapping so they never are the same as that first time, but if you take care of them they will come off each year with minimal resistance. The fuel filler is 3 small screws and the wiring there are 2 plugs to disconnect up above the trailer hitch. No need to remove the lights. Ford beds are super thin so 2 guys can lift by hand.

This happens all the time. I've seen much worse on the road.

10. ScubaSteve728

could it be temporarily fixed with some angle steel on each side ?

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck getting those bolts out. I broke 2 of them and had to plasma cut the heads off of the other ones to get them out. Get ready for the surface rust on the frame. See my flat bed dump bed build and you will see pics of the bed coming off. Good luck.
    T.J.

12. ScubaSteve728

the frame on the truck is not rusty at all really just these beams

13. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Unfortunately, soaking rust in oil or even Fluid Film will not actually stop the rust once its started. It may slow it down a bit, but that's about all you can hope for. The only way to really fix that is to cut the section out and replace it with fresh metal. Then your challenge becomes how to apply a finish to that new metal that will actually prevent rust from starting again. That's tough because its virtually impossible to access all surfaces. (Ford uses electrodeposition primer to do that a the factory.)

We had one that was actually far worse than that and we ended up replacing the entire box / bed.

14. shovelracer

If you keep it lubed you can get a few more years out of it. Each beam is a different depth so it's not as easy as picking up a piece of tubing at the metal yard. This is one thing I do not like about fords over the flat chevy rails. Makes bed fab more of a headache. The easiest way to get the bed off is to torch or grind the bolt heads off and then when the bed is off you can cut them out easy. That is a great time to clean and paint everything behind the cab. I haven't found a replacement bed floor with beams available, but if one existed I would buy one. My 04 bed sides are perfect, but the floor and beams are shot as well. My summer project will be a flat bed otherwise.

15. shovelracer

If you do take the bed off plan on dropping the tank and putting in new rear brake lines. They tend to rot out in between the frame and tank where you'll never see it otherwise. You do not need to drop the tank to do that, but the straps also rust through and you have an opportunity to make a lasting protection to the rear of the truck frame.

16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

First and foremost - you aren't getting those bed bolts out, at least not using the torx bit, maybe if you are lucky you will be able to weld a nut to them and break them loose with a bar.

The rusted section you show, just replace that section, only take those two bolts out, don't take the whole bed off.

Cut the rusted area and bolt out with a sawzall. Measure how long and tall of a piece you need to put back in there. Get a chunk of aluminum and cut it down to the size you need, drill the holes, get two new bed bolts and bolt the thing back together.

It's not that big of a deal really.

17. ScubaSteve728

Well I finally found a new bed to put on my truck seeing that the other one looks like a cheese grader. And here are some other rust pics

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

18. ScubaSteve728

I can put my finger through my cab corner. Gonna get it repaired and painted in the spring when I can pull the bed off and put the new 2013 bed on

photo 2.JPG

photo-1.JPG

19. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I just had all my cross members replaced last summer. I ended up ordering a new bed bottom and they cut off the new cross members and replacing them. Now my passenger wheel well is rusting through. After this truck flatbeds from here on out. I can't stand the rust.

20. ScubaSteve728

I hate it as well just bought brand new bed for 2500$ and i could have had an aluminum flatbed made for the same or less depending on the options i wanted.