1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 f250 4x4 won't engage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Highpoint com., Sep 18, 2010.

1. Highpoint com.

Highpoint com. Junior Member
    from Iowa

I have a 05 ford f250 super duty crew cab that is having 4x4 problems. All the fuses are good and there aren't any codes showing up, but the 4x4 won't engage. There aren't any noises and I'm thinking its the hubs, but just don't know. To make it worse I found this out at my county fair when I had to be pulled out of a slightly muddy parking pasture by a mid size toyota. My pride is damaged and I'm pissed. Any Help?:yow!:

2. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Does your 4x4 light come on? if so try turning your hubs from auto to lock.Good luck.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If theres no noise, like its trying to engage I would look towards the motor.

4. Highpoint com.

from Iowa

I've tried turning the hubs and the light comes on in high and low, but still no dice. Would a code show up if the transfer case was junk? With no noise I'm thinking that its something in the wiring, but that is a wild guess.

5. Highpoint com.

from Iowa

While waiting for some answers I found a couple of other threads on this topic and it seems that the motor is most likely the culprit (Thanks Brian Young for the hint). Should be good, but if you have any other ideas please feel free to share.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The electri shift motor going bad is a common problem and an easy fix.
    I got replacement motors from Napa ALOT cheaper then the Ford Garage.