1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F-550 4x4 diesel 12 FT grain body.......

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by forestfireguy, Dec 19, 2006.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the concensus about running this truck with an 8 ft salter and a 220 gallon spray unit. My guess and it's a rough guess puts the weight something like.
    Plow 1,000lbs
    Salter 1,000 lbs
    Salt 2-3-4000 lbs
    Spray unit 500 lbs
    Liquid 1,600 lbs

Say I'm off by a ton am I still good? I have not looked at the GVWR as this is not a truck I normally drive, but could be for the winter with this set up if it's legal.

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

With an F-550, you should be just fine with that equipment, plus occupants and fuel, and the body weight. Those trucks can hold big weight! Should be able to hold 10-11k lbs. in payload.

3. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

My F550's weight in around 10,000 +-. So you can only put 8000lbs on it on my 06 and 7,500 on my 2000. You should weight truck empty first to determine. Truck will def. hold more but you will be over GVW.

4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

We ran a 2 wheel drive F550 last year with a Swenson 4.4 yard in the bed and no plow. Loaded HEAVY it tipped the scales just under 23,000. Just Slightly overweight.:yow!:

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

they will haul a good heavy load. with a loaded trailer ours gross just over 39k lbs

6. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I love my F-550's

7. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Hope You Got Your Cdl With That Gross..

8. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

That seems like it's way over weight at 39k. Yes, you would need medical card and class B atleast if not class A. Correct me if I'm wrong it's been a long time since I took my test

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

CDL's are the least of his worries if he gets caught.

I come up with closer to 10K for weight. At least. Liquids are closer to 13#'s per gallon unless you're going with plain brine.

It'd be close.

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Class A is truck AND TRAILER. Class B, C, D, are straight vehicles.