1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 F-250 6.0 PowerStroke..Any good?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ultimate plow, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Looking at a lightly used truck right now at the dealer. Price seems to good to believe. They want 18,500 for an 05 F250 super duty 4X4 38,000 miles 6.0 powerstroke ext cab lariet. Black front/rear bumpers & grill. This truck is nice!! But I heard bad things about the 6.0 Still is this truck worth it? thanks

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Good God the prices on the diesels are falling through the floor!

an 06 is considered a safe zone for the 6.0

Get the VIN and take it to the dealer and ask for a OASIS report. they are free and its just all the warranty claims on the truck. If there are alot of engine related claims then do not buy it. The 6.0 has a pretty bad rap but overall they are actually a pretty decent engine.

Id buy that truck though.

3. ultimate plow

from N. IL

hey whats up doug. Thanks for the info. Im goning to be calling them first thing in the morning. Ill be sure to check up on the vehicle history. Thanks

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

the 05's werent too bad but theres always lemons. id go ahead an buy it though if it fit my budget and needs... whatever you do dont look at any 03.5 or 04 model year 6.0's.... my little cousins grandfather has an 05 f-550 w/ 6.0 and torqshift and it runs great. usually its loaded and pulling equipment trailer with a mini excavator and has been fine with a done of power.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't call it the safe zone with the track record my boss is having with his 06 but I'd say they are better then the previous years. Another of my friends buddies had his dads 6.0 burn up the the driveway after driving it 20 miles or so. I guess it had no problems going down the road, got home and parked it and everyone went thier seperate ways and about 5 minutes later his mom called saying the truck was on fire in the driveway.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Oh brother....Can anyone who OWNS a 6.0 please chime in and not the guys who's brother's, friend's, cousin's uncle owned one that exploded.

The 6.0 has some seriously bad press, but compared to the amount of 6.0 that were built and run fine, I wouldn't worry too much about this one. Besides, you've got a warranty to 100000 miles. $18500 is a steal.

7. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have an 06' F-350 6.0 that has been great. I pull my 9000 lbs. mini excavator 5 days a week and plow snow in the winter with a Boss V. The only prob I have had is an EGR cooler and tires. I had a 96' F-350 with a 7.3 and it was the best pullingtruck I have ever used but it had 4:10 gears where my new one has 3:73 gears. I would say go for it if you can budget the truck. Like they said before there are lemons in everything you buy but I have had great luck with mine.

8. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

05+ is the bench mark for 6.0s there are lemons but hell theres that with everything. if get me the vin i'll do an oasis for you .

9. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

i owned my 05 f350 for 115k miles before I sold it and it was running great..

only thing i had to do was injectors at about 65k..

The motor has a bad rep mostly from cousin's brother's dogs' aunts friends trucks being lemons.

Get an oasis report..if its been reliable so far then it should remain reliable..

10. stroker79

I just reread my post. I did mean to say 05 not 06, sorry for any confusion.

11. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Thanks everyone for the tips. Oasis report is clean of any bad stuff. Ill be picking up my new truck tomorrow or thurs. Thank you all for the info. Who wants pics???

12. stroker79

How about I see it in person? I still want the strobe kit, im waiting on a stupid slow payer right now. I hope you can still hold it. Ill buy it for sure.

13. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Be sure to post some pics when you pick it up. I'd love to see it. Take care.

14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

BS....i have an 04 and it's fine.....the very early models in 03 had worst problems...

for reference...in september an 04 extended cab xlt fx4 6.0 42k was around 24k...i think it's going to be a little rough looking..or they are stupid...

diesels are diesels....they hold a decent value..better than same truck in a gasser....P.U.

i have become very knowledgeable about the 6.0.....i would buy it...you buy the beer...i'll go over all the stuff you need to know in an afternoon...

15. ultimate plow

from N. IL

fantastic truck. Picked it up earlier. Iv been talking to this dealer a cupple months now looking for a diesel truck. They called me mon morning saying they just recieved a truck in. on a trade in. Iv dealt with wickstrom ford for years buying 3 new vehicles in the past and refering 3 people to all buy new vehicles. Just a great deal to come by I guess. Pics and vid to come.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We have 6 of the 6.0's at the ambulance company I work for. The only problem we have had were injectors ( 1 truck ) fixed under warranty. Highest miles on one is 77K.
    They have many drivers every week so they get beat on with some lead foots.
    I love them, great engine, spools up quick, transmissions have great shift points. They get 13.5 MPG with a fully loaded ambulance city driving.

17. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Congrats!!! Hurry with those pics. Sounds like you got a winner.

18. Dissociative

ok..no more posts till he does the pics....i keep seeing the e-mail reply link and no pics..

wtf?.....wickstrom ford....i wonder if it had online invintory pics?..prolly gone anyway

19. Dissociative

20. ultimate plow

from N. IL

thats my truck!!!! I didnt even take pics yet. but there it is:)