1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brandon29, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Hey guys I just bought an 05 chevy k2500 ext cab short bed duramax. I just wanted to know what you guys think of these trucks? I'm really nervous about switching from a gas truck to a diesel. I read forums about them but all you really hear is the bad. I have a couple friends that have these trucks and they love them.

2. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I have the exact truck as you and I love it. I've only had a couple small problems with it and mine gets driven pretty hard and used as a truck

3. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

i also have the same truck, i just bought mine back in october and i will never go back to gas again.

good luck with the truck

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Where have you heard anything bad about the DMax? Most are very positive. Given there are always going to be whiners online.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Got an '05 Duramax and love it!

6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Only thing I've ever heard negative about the LLY engine that is in that D-max is that if you tow HEAVY HEAVY over some steep grades, the truck starts to get a little hot.... They improved the cooling system in the newer models but again, that's only what I've heard and whether it's true I'm not sure...

7. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

gm extended LLY engine warranties to 7 year/ 200k miles because of the injector issues. Chances are, your truck already has the better injectors. That's the worst thing I've ever heard about LLY motors. Other than that, duramaxes are tough reliable engines.

8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

GM has a bulletin out for any symptoms or complaints. TSB: #06-06-04-036D

The first gen LB7 has the injector warranty.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  9. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

10/4 on that. I take it all back!

10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Im puttin out around 500hp with my 04.5LLY. Same thing as an 05.

11. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Well thanks guys! Made me feel a lot better about getting one. I heard all the bad news on the diesel place forum. I know a hand full of people with the lly and they love it and have never had a problem. Any of you guys running a programmer on the stock trans? I want the Banks 6 gun. What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be great Im new to the diesel thing.

12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

I think efi live is the way to go with the d-max.

13. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Agreed..... although I haven't used it myself.. I have the PPE tuner for my truck.....Before recently, I only ran the 90hp tune, then I started getting the bug and turned it up to level 3 which is the 150hp tune then level 4 that is 225hp... That is ADDITIONAL HP.... I couldn't see myself running it like that longer than a few minutes as it can reak HAVOC on a stock tranny... The rule of thumb is the 90hp tune for a stock trans that will still have longevity.... Although, if it is only YOU driving the truck and don't mash the throttle at highway speeds you can see some pretty impressive mpg numbers using level 3.... I've heard that the transmission line pressure drops in the higher gears so if you mash it while driving at 65 on the highway, the tranny will REALLY SLIP when it downshifts causing damage... GOODLUCK!!

14. DrByrd

DrByrd Junior Member

I too have a 2005 duramax 3500 srw I would recommend if you tow in high altitude or hot conditions to replace the mouthpiece for your turbo. Go to duramax diesel owners web site for the info and reason to do this. Only applies to 2005 lly.

15. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

You'll love it..............EFI is the way to go, for sure!!!

16. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Save your money and drive up to Crystal Lake and have Nick from Duramaxtuner.com work his magic with EFILive. That's who tuned my truck and I've been very happy. Even on a stock trans, he can get some safe gains out of your truck.

17. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Awesome stuff guys! Thanks so much. Well my truck finally arrived from Florida yesterday and I took it for a spin and noticed it had more then a stock lly. I called the guy and he said that he had a 75 hp gain using EFI live. It also has dual 4 inch MBRP exhaust with 5inch tips...I love it. Now with the EFI live will it get deleted if a shop hooks a scan tool into the obd port? What do I buy so I can adjust the tune? I wouldnt go over 75 hp but I might want to drop it down to like 30hp. Its a mother ****** to ***** foot it threw town on the 75 tune. The truck also has the LMM mouthpiece for the intake. Thanks so much guys and I think im really going to like the duramax!!!!!

18. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Hey one more quick question. What fuel additive/ anti-gel are you using? How well does it work? Where are you getting it? Thanks guys

19. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

I would also check out Ridge Runner Diesel.

You won't need efi-live if you go with that set-up, just an ecm exchange.

:D

20. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

So did you purchase the truck site un-seen and without driving it first? Cause I'm SURE you would have noticed the tune from the get go...